Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a few old Pickle barrel type Baritone pieces.
You know the ones, Hard Rubber with large chamber and scooped side rails etc.
Brands like Bundy, Conn, Lelandais, Dolnet, Woodwind co etc.
Condition not overly important, but not cracked or missing big chunks.
Most importantly they must be cheap.
These will be used for refacing modification projects.
No plastic pieces thanks.
Let me know what you have and how much.
Ideally someone has three or four they can sell cheaply so I can save on shipping.
Thanks.
Nick.

·
3,074 Posts
get a caravan. great players and not that expensive.
A student of mine put one on his 12m, magic.

·
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
get a caravan. great players and not that expensive.
A student of mine put one on his 12m, magic.
Thanks Ben, but I'm really just looking for pieces to use as blanks for refacing work.
I've had some good success with some of the older slimmer baritone pieces in the past, and now wish to see what I can do with these types of blanks.
I'm pretty well sorted for baritone pieces, I use an old Otto Link Masterlink almost exclusively on The Martin and a Norberto Klum piece on my YBS61.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
By the way, the term is

"Dill Pickle"

derived from the similarity in shape between the big old mouthpieces and a dill pickle.

Not "pickle barrel".

·
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Particularly interested in Riffault Blanks.
These may be stamped as SML, VITO, Noblet, Buffet etc.
Will also have Steelite Ebonite stamp or Steel Ebonite stamp.
They may also be unbranded and only have France on them or France and an R facing such as R5 etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,632 Posts
Riffault didn't make too many "pickle" style pieces. Most of the older ones that I've seen are either "pea shooter" (aka Selmer "Airflow") or a slightly modified large chamber that is a little bit "squarish." The Vito brand came along late in the game for Riffault (post war) and those are flat sided chambers (aka "Brilhart"). In the 1960's, Riffault started their "Superfini" series, which also was a medium chamber. I think it's probably what Gerry Mulligan played, although internet lore has created an alternative story. I have a couple listed on Ebay, but I've already refaced them.

Mark

Turns out I wrote that blog exactly a year ago. Happy New Year.

·
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Riffault didn't make too many "pickle" style pieces. Most of the older ones that I've seen are either "pea shooter" (aka Selmer "Airflow") or a slightly modified large chamber that is a little bit "squarish." The Vito brand came along late in the game for Riffault (post war) and those are flat sided chambers (aka "Brilhart"). In the 1960's, Riffault started their "Superfini" series, which also was a medium chamber. I think it's probably what Gerry Mulligan played, although internet lore has created an alternative story. I have a couple listed on Ebay, but I've already refaced them.

Mark

Turns out I wrote that blog exactly a year ago. Happy New Year.
Thanks for the lnformation.
Particularly the link to your blog which was also great reading.
However I’m not sure I would agree that Mulligans piece was a Riffault blank, at least not in the pictures on your blog.
To me that piece resembles a Gale Circle logo piece with the three white dots on it.
One of the dots can be seen at the rear of his ligature in at least two of those photos.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
By the way, the term is

"Dill Pickle"

derived from the similarity in shape between the big old mouthpieces and a dill pickle.

Not "pickle barrel".

We’ve always called em potato mashers

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,492 Posts
both names have an established tradition. ( there are at least 221 hits with the search “ pickle barrel” )

“ Zure bom “ ( Sour Bomb ) being the Dutch version.

I have had at least 5 Riffaults with a number of designations on the shank varying between 3 tp 5. They were, at least in the Netherlands, not that uncommon but they are getting very rare.

There is nothing square about these chambers very round and big

Currently I have a 5 with original very nice one screw ligature.

I have used this in case I come across a Bass (these can be used for Bass too) Inside has a bit of damage which is reparable with some dental epoxy (I never had the need to do that).

I might part from it but shipping to AU is not cheap and the piece and ligature are not irreplaceable but not easy to come by.

CLICK on the Picture it will expand to a very large image

Zure Bom_5.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,745 Posts
Thanks Ben, but I'm really just looking for pieces to use as blanks for refacing work.
Wish you wouldn't go carving up old WW Co. pieces. Some are absolute gems, needing no work and can be great matches for finicky vintage horns. Outside the vacuum that is SOTW, not everyone needs super open tips; and it's not like they'll be making any more.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
986 Posts
Wish you wouldn't go carving up old WW Co. pieces. Some are absolute gems, needing no work and can be great matches for finicky vintage horns. Outside the vacuum that is SOTW, not everyone needs super open tips; and it's not like they'll be making any more.
Yah, I somewhat had the same concerns. I have a couple from the brands you mention--Conn, Bundy--and they play really well on my 1922 Buescher bass. I don't know what kind of mods you're learning to do, but the fact is there is a finite number of these pieces, and bass sax players really value these pieces, since many were intended as bari/bass combo pieces.

Also, some bari players really love to put these vintage pieces on their vintage baris, since some of these vintage or even antique horns (like my 1886 Buffet) either can't play with, or don't play nice with, newer pieces.

Just saying...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,632 Posts
One of the dots can be seen at the rear of his ligature in at least two of those photos.
Good eyes. There is still the issue of it not having a band like other Gregorys and Gales. The Gale baritone mold recently sold at auction (the last picture in the blog). It appears that there is no way to use the Gale mold without having a cast location to put the metal band. Also interesting were some blanks that recently sold from the estate of Charles Bay. Some of them looked to be later Riffault blanks that had the three holes drilled in them, but the holes remained unfilled. It looked like Mr. Bay may have produced some late "3 dots." The blanks weren't stamped, so no telling if they were going to be Gales.

Here is a "squarish" chambered Riffault baritone. NOS, including the ligature. Riffault mouthpieces are like a box of chocolates.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163439180937

Mark

·
8,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is true, but there are those who do like these pieces in slightly more open tips.
Especially those with more challenging vintage horns.
For the record, I wouldn’t go carving up a nice Woodwind Co piece in good undamaged condition, but one that has damage preventing it from being playable would certainly be a good candidate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,492 Posts
I still have the one above, if you want it let me know, I don’t need a lot of cash but shipping as you know invariably takes some money in itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts