Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm in the market for a new baritone sax mouthpiece for my Buescher True Tone stencil, because the two that I have just aren't quite hitting the mark for me. Currently I'm playing on a Vito N2, and a Brilhart Special (cheapy student model). I like the Vito; it gets a nice rip-roaring sound, but the tip opening is very closed, and because of that seems to get out of control very easily, and it leaks (water and air). It's crazy easy to play on though. The Brilhart Special, on the other hand, is too open, and I feel like I'm blowing my brains out just to get a decent sound. Please don't ask me to play low Bb at anything below FFF!

I've asked a number of sax players that I know, and since I play jazz exclusively, a lot of them have suggested a Meyer hard rubber. One suggested specifically the 7M facing, which is around .104. I was wondering if anyone had any clue what the facings were on the Vito or the Brilhart, so I have an idea of what I need to look for. I want something more open than the Vito, but just as easy to play, but more closed than the Brilhart (unless it's the Brilhart, and not the facing).

I'm quite interested in a metal piece, but I don't know how well it would match with my older sax. I tried a Brilhart Level Aire on my alto, and it was great. I don't know how they are for bari, but it seems like a possibility. Thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,143 Posts
I think you should try to find a tech with facing gauges and see what the tip openings are for your mouthpieces. I have a feeling you might be really surprised. Chamber size might also factor into how the pieces you have play.
I also think a metal mouthpiece would be fine. The best thing for you to do is find a place where you can try several different mouthpieces and take home the one you like best. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Just curious, if the Brilhart is more open than the Vito, have you tried dropping a half size down or maybe a whole size on reed strength?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Right now I'm using Vandoren ZZ 2.5's, though I do have a Vandoren blue box 2. I do have more luck with that on the Brilhart, but it still seems to require a LOT of air to get anything out of it. What tipped me off to the problems with the Brilhart was that I could not for the life of me play in the lower register quietly. At the time I was playing in a concert band, and any time it asked for a quiet low Bb, the best I could do was a bad subtone...it sounded awful. That's probably due in good part to my embouchure, but I'd honestly rather not fight with my sax to get a note out if there are more comfortable mpc's out there. I just have no idea what's more comfortable ;)

Unfortunately, in my area, there's not much in the way of mpc selection. Our biggest music store, Hauer Music, purposefully has a small selection of mouthpieces due to the wide range of brands and facings. All the other music stores cater to either guitars or middle school band students. I'm thinking about ordering a bunch of mouthpieces from WWBW, but they don't have a lot of what I'm looking to try in stock. Man I sound whiney. I don't mean to :) Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,001 Posts
Consider having either (or both) refaced. We've many good mouthpiece technicians here at SotW - Ed Zentera (EZ) and Keith Bradbury (MojoBari) to name a couple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts