Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took our piccolo, a Yamaha YPC-61, to our normal tech said that it needed some pads replaced, headjoint tenon(?) spins, and the headjoint has a crack.
We were told that it would be a while before it could be tended to, but next semester is starting soon & needed then.
So, I am looking for a tech referral, ideally in So. Cal., but not against mailing out to a tech.

Thanks for any referrals.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,038 Posts
Paul Rabinov is in California, not sure where though. He's one of the best in the world so it will certainly be a good job!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
The Yamaha piccolo is a nice little unit.

Be careful when you get a loose tenon.

Some yamahas and definetly the selmer preludes actually snap off at this point, in the last year I've seen over a dozen with snapped of tenons.

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,217 Posts
Bruce Bailey is a renowned flute and piccolo technician in the USA

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mike Cleveland at Horn Improvement in Mission Viejo, he's a close friend of mine and an excellent technician.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took the pic to Paul Rabinov today in person (about an hour and a half away) and I don't think I could be happier!
It was scheduled for about 2 hours and ended up taking about 3 1/4 hours, and while that might be bad if you were paying per hour, it was great as I should up about 15 minutes earlier than scheduled (1.75 instead of 2 hours) and ended up watching him work on the pic for about an hour.
Time flies watching a true tech working his magic.
The best part for me was when he play tested the piccolo.....making the fine tuning, then saying that it was in tune but lacked color.
Seemed like he TOUCHED the lip opening(?) with a small file or knife/deburrer, play test again, make another adjustment, play test again.....
Not sure about 'color', if I was to describe it as a layman, I would say that it "opened up" the pic.

To top it all off, Paul is a great guy.

Thanks Benny for the recommendation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts