Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if one would want to have a certain type of projection while playing piccolo in the pit. What got me to thinking about this was listening to a piccolo player at a symphony last week. She was playing on a wooden piccolo and her sound was just incredible--loud and resonant throughout the hall.

But it seems to me that that may not be ideal for a pit orchestra, since you can't be as loud. I use a Yamaha YPC-32 (plastic body, silver headjoint) in the pits and it seems to do a good job. And it certainly isn't as loud as a wood piccolo.

Just wondering if anyone out there has an opinion about this. As much as I'd love to eventually own a wooden piccolo, I'm wondering if it would be too much for a pit orchestra.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Good projection has a lot more to do with the player than the instrument. A symphony piccolo player could make your Yamaha sound pretty much like her/his piccolo. So, instead of blowing $2K on a wooden piccolo, you might want to maybe work with what you have and get a good sound out of it first.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Also, a pit orchestra is not likely to have as many other players as a symphony.

You need to work on dynamics overall, when and how to blend, when and how to cut through above the other players.

BTW, wood by itself does not make a piccolo loud.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I am currently playing flute and piccolo (YPC61) wood in a pit orchestra. I am not a pro player, but I have lots of years of experince. You can play very softly with good tone if the piccolo is a decent brand and setup well. YPC32 is a good student pic. Don't change pics if the pit orchestra is your only reason for wanting to change.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good observations! I did suspect that it was more likely the player rather than the horn.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts