Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I figure the techs hang here. I have a limited amount of repair knowledge, but enough to help my students.

I haven't played piccolo in at least 6 years, and I never touched one when I was a repair tech apprentice, but I'm borrowing a so-so Gemeinhardt (that leaks a lot) to play Reed 1 for Music Man.

Long story short, today I noticed the thumb Bb and 1+1 Bb are out of adjustment. In both instances, the Bb pad was hitting before the other pads. A little bending by the first finger right hand I think those pads are working together, at least it's better. But when I use the thumb Bb, the thumb pads don't want to close (the top Bb pad does). That's when I'm just on the thumb Bb key. It might just be me and my lack of piccolo knowledge because it will close if my thumb is on both keys but I don't know if that's proper technique. It seems like the thumb Bb mechanism should push down both thumb pads and the Bb pad. So should I bend it at the thumb? Adjust technique? Or am I missing the solution all together? Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Provided there is no double action between the thumb key and the main action, then do the following:

If the thumb pads are closing before the main action pad, then raise the height of the thumb key to increase its travel by bending it upwards.

If the main action closes but the thumb pads remain open, bend the thumb key inwards to reduce its travel.

For the long Bb (1+1) check the pad cup and linkage (upper part of the long Bb clutch) are tightly pinned to the steel shaft. If they are and if some double action can be felt when closing RH1, then bend the upper part of the linkage down until both pads close together. You may have to adjust the venting of LH2 if there is any double action or the venting is too low. If the linkage or the pad cup are loose on the steel, then they will need tightening by refitting the pins or replacing them with larger ones.

In each case, do this gradually rather than in one go and always check progress with a feeler gauge (finest cigarette paper cut into a long triangle)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Might be a little tricky if you try to do it yourself . There are a few other factors involved with those keys. Piccolos are hard to work on. You might make it worst.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks. It *looks* simple enough, and I'm sure I've fixed it similarly on a flute. But considering my thumb can cover both keys, I should probably just do that. It's more of just getting used to the keywork and technique than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts