Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by no standard a good piano player, and I wouldn't know how hard a piano piece is by looking at it.

On a scale of 1 to 20 how hard is the piano part to the Maslanka's Sonata?

I want to know if I handed it to a decent accompanist if they could play it or hand it back to me saying no.

If you want to seperate the difficulty by movements that would be good too, Thanks for any help. Remember piano only, I can tell how challenging the saxo part is ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
1-20!? Guess this one does go to 11...

I would rate the piano part at a 15 or so, for a number of reasons. First, the piano part is simply challenging - lots of notes going by fast! Secondly (and this goes for us too), the Maslanka is a very big musical challenge - looking beyond the composer's expressive markings, bringing your own thoughts to the piece, and above all executing your combined musical decisions can be taxing. It is a long work that challenges both player's endurance, physically and mentally. Last, the Maslanka is chamber music in the truest sense. You and your pianist must know both parts intimately well so that you can communicate effectively with each other during performance.

I would say to shop the piece around to pianists around you, see if any of them are interested in pursuing the project. I can tell you from experience it is a very rewarding piece to play well, but it takes a LOT of work to really do a good job on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts