Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you work out to improve your breathing and over all cardiovascular health? As I get older (I'm 40), I find it harder and harder to maintain my lung strength. Sadly, I have precious little time for other than the day job, daily commute, family time and practice/rehearsal to dedicate towards reducing my waistline and overall conditioning. Shame no one (yet) has invented the little blue pill to cause over four hours of uplifting saxual performance ;) Just think of the TV commercials?!?!?!

Anyway, if you do exercise, please tell if that's helped your playing.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Yes. Swimming. And it does make a difference to posture and breathing capacity.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Free weights and a little running 4 times a week for the past six months has helped my wind but more so my posture and stamina to stand and play my tenor. My working band does three 50-60min sets with a 20-25min break in between on the average of twice a week every week and dropping some flab and putting on a little lean mass has helped. Get some dumbells and decent running shoes and start with 20 min sessions alternating running and weights on different days. You'll be amazed at the results in just a month!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
I have been running long distance consistently for the past 17 years. I am guessing it helps although I have intention of stopping see what the difference might be. As far as playing the sax goes, the time might have been better spent practicing. :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I can't run because of bad knees and a bad back. I try to ride my bicycle three times a week, snorkel at least once a month (weather permitting), and I walk as much as my job will let me. I also do yardwork and housecleaning (my own--not other people's). The strongest muscles on in my body are still my embouchure muscles and breathing system.

I don't do a 'program', and I really hate weightlifting. Actually, I hate any exercize that has no purpose other than 'working out'. That smacks of therapy rather than exercize.

I'm just a fat and happy 51 year old, in decent health.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Tj, I've always worked out since my teen years, but it's never been for saxual reasons. In fact exercise is a way for me to get away from things. I heard Garzone runs 5 miles a day.

Imo more exercise is not necessary for improved saxual performance assuming your health is ok. Just practice more!;)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
tjontheroad said:
Swimming would be ideal for breathing strength I bet. Didn't think of that.
I'll bore you with a little story. I've been swimming at a mediocre level since i was in my teens and used to compete although it was always one of my least favourite sports. Now my knee's wonky so i don't have much choice. Always troubled me that I didn't seem to be able to swim very far freestyle. I noticed that many of my sax pupils don't take on sufficient breath to support their sound. In a kind of "eureka" moment I realised that maybe when I breathe at swimming I'm not breathing deep enough. So I tried breathing deeper. All of a sudden I'm effing Mark Spitz (comparatively!!) I thought this was kind of interesting because it shows that those breakthrough moments can continue to happen even when one's a bit older. And I actually do think that I tend to play better when I'm healthy happy and relaxed - for me, exercize helps in all those areas. Interesting that this thread seems a bit of a talking shop for 40 year old males! (yeah, me too :()

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,328 Posts
Physical conditioning and saxual performance

tjontheroad said:
I was wondering how many of you work out to improve your breathing and over all cardiovascular health?..............
Not a darn thing. I can't run/trot very far because of bad knees. Swimming would be ideal if I didn't have recurring swimmer's ear and if floating wasn't so much easier.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Here's another forty something or other chimming in.

I enjoy biking using an heart rate monitor. I usually ride 2-3 times weekly for about an hour or better, keeping the BPM in the 160 range. I'm much better for it if I can stick to it consistantly.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
I heard Garzone runs 5 miles a day.
I read somewhere a while back that Eric Alexander also runs daily too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
I quitted a lot of bad habits, and that made a difference already. Now I just have to give up cigarettes and start swimming again. It does make a difference. Even just walking enough makes a difference.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Sounds like your in shape to move up to these now:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts