Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,177 Posts
I do so love this horn. Gonna keep my eye open for a leblanc system tenor now. I'm picky though, no nickel keys on yellow/gold lacquer, but an exceptional can be make for the exceptional. Sigh, and here I thought I'd ended my tenor sax quest with my cannonball VR.... oh well, no rush :)
There are VERY few true Rationale System around ( lots of people calling a Semi a full and even Model 35 a rationale!) and even fewer people who use them , they come mostly in dual tone or silver and there are less than 500 tenors made so, you get what you can if you can afford one. Make sure that it comes with a book for the tech!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There are VERY few true Rationale System around ( lots of people calling a Semi a full and even Model 35 a rationale!) and even fewer people who use them , they come mostly in dual tone or silver and there are less than 500 tenors made so, you get what you can if you can afford one. Make sure that it comes with a book for the tech!
I’d be very fine with a model 35 tenor. I’m loving the alternates! Coming from wind synth to an alto with what is essentially a flat button for the left hand is a dream I didn’t know I had come true :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I do have one complaint about it though. The bis key is a chu berry distance from the b key. I don’t like that. I use the bis key a bit, and I’d love a fix idea for this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
do these help with altissimo?
I haven’t been able to sit down and play with the fingering chart yet. The fingering chart on these goes up to triple F I believe. However, the fingerings I used on my old Yamaha 62 alto popped out incredibly easy with my Yanagisawa metal five and a 2 1/2 reed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I remember Eugene Rousseau endorsed these before yamaha.
This may have been a better evolution for the sax.
Change is hard for people.
But didnt stop for CG Conn or Adolphe Sax

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I remember Eugene Rousseau endorsed these before yamaha.
This may have been a better evolution for the sax.
Change is hard for people.
But didnt stop for CG Conn or Adolphe Sax
I agree. We sax players tend to be a brand sensitive, superstitious lot. Kind of silly, really.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I’d be very fine with a model 35 tenor. I’m loving the alternates! Coming from wind synth to an alto with what is essentially a flat button for the left hand is a dream I didn’t know I had come true :)
Sorry, but they didn't make that model in Tenors, just Altos (based on prior threads). Don't know why...

·
43,177 Posts
I’m interested if anyone has one available
They do turn up but they are not cheap nor common, do set aside a pretty penny for regulations too

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love my Model 35 alto, and would buy a 35 tenor in a heartbeat if it existed! Vito does have the Model 37 tenor, which I think was the companion. But it doesn't have all the extra keywork.

To be real, I don't use the extra keys very often. But they're super nice in the situations when I do.

·
43,177 Posts
Leblanc Models 100 and 120 are the tenors to go wit this. Semi-Rationale and Rationale System differ from the cheaper Vito only in the regulation made by corks

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a conn shooting stars tenor with no neck. I often wonder where those necks go. They are like that one shoe on the road… how did that get there?
My guess is those shooting star necks ended up on Conn 10M's and other vintage Conns that needed a neck. All Conn Tenors that I have measured have a larger than average tenon size (28.2) where a Selmer is on the smaller end of the scale (27.5). I had a spare shooting star alto neck from an otherwise crappy alto and that neck fit one of my Noblet / Beaugnier altos. I'm pretty adept at resizing neck tenons, so I have done a lot of neck subs.

Back to your claim that 969A is the coolest serial number. I say I have the coolest serial number as my Conn Transitional alto (1930 or 31) is serial number 240000. 240k on the dot. I've never seen any other with so many zeroes on the end. It is also the earliest I have seen without the split bell keys.

·
43,177 Posts
people loose necks and damage them all the time, they did before and still do to this days, especially on student’s instruments.

Spare necks were sold by companies even before the fashion arose to swap necks with brought about the craziness of horns being offered new with three different necks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Back to your claim that 969A is the coolest serial number. I say I have the coolest serial number as my Conn Transitional alto (1930 or 31) is serial number 240000. 240k on the dot. I've never seen any other with so many zeroes on the end. It is also the earliest I have seen without the split bell keys.
Yes, that too is a cool sn.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts