Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s a Yanigasagwa 5. It cuts like a laser. I wish it was a 6 or 7 opening though. I want to have a more Desmond sound for jazz. Right now with a 2.5 vandoren red it seems perfectly set to Sanborn lol. So it’s fun. Altissimo pops out like nothing I’ve ever owned, and I still haven’t tried it with the Leblanc fingerings, just the ones I remember from my Yamaha 62. I love her.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
according to that list is should be somewhere in the late ’60, that is the most precise that you can get unless you have a proof of purchase (which still wouldn’t exactly tell when it was made)
the original owners name is still on the case, stuck on with that old embossing tape. It’s awesome. I should look her up and ask her when and where she got it. She would be in her 70s I’d imagine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What mouthpieces are you all liking with your model 35s? I’m coming from tenor and Aerophone, so I’m definitely browsing alto mpcs right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know it was originally purchased in California. That’s where it was also found, presumably in a closet from the amazing shape in the finish, and then bought and overhauled Palo at Just Saxes

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I have. I’ve been pouring through as much as I can find on this horn. I even watch some 20 minute video of a guy speaking either Portuguese or Spanish talking about this horn that I absolutely didn’t understand LOL. I just never found with the A meant. I’d like to add mine to that list somehow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do so love this horn. Gonna keep my eye open for a leblanc system tenor now. I'm picky though, no nickel keys on yellow/gold lacquer, but an exceptional can be make for the exceptional. Sigh, and here I thought I'd ended my tenor sax quest with my cannonball VR.... oh well, no rush :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got one recently looks new except no neck. I want a original neck. I love it. It has a nice sound.
I have a conn shooting stars tenor with no neck. I often wonder where those necks go. They are like that one shoe on the road… how did that get there?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There are VERY few true Rationale System around ( lots of people calling a Semi a full and even Model 35 a rationale!) and even fewer people who use them , they come mostly in dual tone or silver and there are less than 500 tenors made so, you get what you can if you can afford one. Make sure that it comes with a book for the tech!
I’d be very fine with a model 35 tenor. I’m loving the alternates! Coming from wind synth to an alto with what is essentially a flat button for the left hand is a dream I didn’t know I had come true :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I do have one complaint about it though. The bis key is a chu berry distance from the b key. I don’t like that. I use the bis key a bit, and I’d love a fix idea for this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
do these help with altissimo?
I haven’t been able to sit down and play with the fingering chart yet. The fingering chart on these goes up to triple F I believe. However, the fingerings I used on my old Yamaha 62 alto popped out incredibly easy with my Yanagisawa metal five and a 2 1/2 reed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I remember Eugene Rousseau endorsed these before yamaha.
This may have been a better evolution for the sax.
Change is hard for people.
But didnt stop for CG Conn or Adolphe Sax
I agree. We sax players tend to be a brand sensitive, superstitious lot. Kind of silly, really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts