Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
slober slober drip drool - awesome!!!

Q: is that a Berg Larsen mouthpiece?

One of my my (as yet unrestored) Vito Kenosha altos attached :cool: see below....

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Saxophone

Reactions: drewfus

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,154 Posts
@drewfus

the best available charts for Vito Saxophones were key bt Kim Slava , Dr. Sax, for years until he retired and his site shut down.

They are still available on the waybackmachine

this is the section for serial numbers

according to that list is should be somewhere in the late ’60, that is the most precise that you can get unless you have a proof of purchase (which still wouldn’t exactly tell when it was made)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s a Yanigasagwa 5. It cuts like a laser. I wish it was a 6 or 7 opening though. I want to have a more Desmond sound for jazz. Right now with a 2.5 vandoren red it seems perfectly set to Sanborn lol. So it’s fun. Altissimo pops out like nothing I’ve ever owned, and I still haven’t tried it with the Leblanc fingerings, just the ones I remember from my Yamaha 62. I love her.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
according to that list is should be somewhere in the late ’60, that is the most precise that you can get unless you have a proof of purchase (which still wouldn’t exactly tell when it was made)
the original owners name is still on the case, stuck on with that old embossing tape. It’s awesome. I should look her up and ask her when and where she got it. She would be in her 70s I’d imagine.

·
43,154 Posts
sure, you never know she may even have documents somewhere, however these may have been in the shop for a while before they were sold, especially an “ unusual” model such as the 35 may have not been immediately sold, so even the actual receipt wouldn’t tell you the exact production date but it would be fun

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What mouthpieces are you all liking with your model 35s? I’m coming from tenor and Aerophone, so I’m definitely browsing alto mpcs right now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know it was originally purchased in California. That’s where it was also found, presumably in a closet from the amazing shape in the finish, and then bought and overhauled Palo at Just Saxes

·
43,154 Posts
Does anyone know what the “A” in the serial number of 969A means, if anything?
You really should take a look at the link I gave you above

the suffix A is used for many brands and types, until the serial number 17000 , I don’t think it had an evident meaning

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I have. I’ve been pouring through as much as I can find on this horn. I even watch some 20 minute video of a guy speaking either Portuguese or Spanish talking about this horn that I absolutely didn’t understand LOL. I just never found with the A meant. I’d like to add mine to that list somehow.

·
43,154 Posts
So what is the rationale for that?
Funny that you ask this this way (maybe you meant to)

This is a simplified version of the Leblanc Semi-Rationale , there is also a Rationale system saxophone.

Vito and Leblanc were related companies, the owner Vito Pascucci, acquired Leblanc at some point.

The main difference between the Vito 35 and the Leblanc semi rationale was the regulation of the key height which in the 35 was achieved by corks and the Leblanc by much more precise screws.

the system offerend the possibility to do some special fingerings and for example you could lower any position of the upper hand by a semitone by closing the lower hand .

Schematic Font Line Rectangle Parallel

Read Stephen Howard review

now see the movie by Matt Stohrer

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do so love this horn. Gonna keep my eye open for a leblanc system tenor now. I'm picky though, no nickel keys on yellow/gold lacquer, but an exceptional can be make for the exceptional. Sigh, and here I thought I'd ended my tenor sax quest with my cannonball VR.... oh well, no rush :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts