Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to share some links on this, one of my favorite jazz albums ever from one of my favorite alto players. Think this won a grammy or something in 1977, and was out-of-print for a long time. This isn't everything, but this YT'r has the other tracks too...great to hear Phil's group with Harry Leahey on guitar. Phil plays some nice soprano on Rain Dance too!

I had most of this on cassette from a sax teachers original vinyl and converted to CD years ago...if you've never heard these - enjoy!

A Sleepin' Bee

Rain Dance

Bye Bye Baby

Django's Castle

Cheek to Cheek

Little Niles

Brazilian Affair (all 21 minutes!)

I'm Late

How's Your Mama (my favorite version)

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
Incredible album.

One of my fav's too.

I bought the japanese import cd a couple years ago with the bonus tracks on it.

So great!!!!!

Phil is the best.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
i have this on Vinyl, and when I first listened to it, it blew me totally away, and it scared me too. The thing about this double record is that its a live show, and Phil is absolutely perfect on it. I mean P E R F E C T, and totally dazzling playing all of his insane, crazy bebop, Phil is truly the reigning High Priest of the bebop cult. I mean the guy is really super-human. Y'all gotta hear this stuff. This is a must have for any jazz fan.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In college, a close friend and tenor player came running down the hall when he heard me listening to "A Sleepin' Bee"...heard just a couple notes and say "A SLEEPIN' BEE...Phil Woods" listened to the rest with me then went back to practicing, etc.

I'm sure a lot of jazzers listened to this one a lot in the late '70s/early 80s...I know what you mean about Phil being so dazzling on this. I listened to him a lot after this, the group with Galper and later on Tom Harrell.

Btw, the How's Your Momma on Little Big Band is a close second...

shawn

·
Premium Member
15,487 Posts
Cheek to cheek is my favorite...phil is phenomenal here.

For me....he's the greatest alto player ever!!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
This album is incredible. The first time I heard it, I was surprised to hear that this alto player is in complete command of the soprano as well. Actually, I think rain dance is my all time favorite soprano solo. Amazing. This is how the soprano should sound.
Bjorn

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,737 Posts
The Showboat set came out during the same era as Musique Du Bois on Muse. I always liked the Muse set a little better. I'm not sure why - well for one thing I love the band with Jaki Byard, Alan Dawson, and Richard Davis. You can hear samples on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Musique-Dubois-Phil-Woods/dp/B00000DWY9/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314728239&sr=1-3

My favorite Phil album might be New Music by the New Phil Woods Quartet which I'm pretty sure never came out on CD, but that's entirely different. Has anyone else heard that one?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I've posted this before, but I was there for the recording. Although it implies it was a one-night shot, I believe it was actually recorded over two nights. One of the things that really impressed me for a lifetime was the total commitment to the music and professionalism of the band because, unlike you might imagine, the club was not heavily populated that night. Yet the musicians played like they were playing for a packed house of very hip listeners.

I had a similar experience, live, with another incarnation of a Phil Woods band in Germany years later in a sparsely attended arts center concert. When they came on stage, Bryan Lynch visibly reacted to the small size of the audience and he and Phil exchanged looks. Then, regardless, they proceeded to kill. This is what professionals do!

Yeah, that recording at the Showboat is superb. I still have the original LP.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts

·
2,144 Posts
Gary...the Showboat was a great little venue, wasn't it? I saw Phil at the Showboat the year after this was recorded and there was a pretty good crowd, probably because of the album. I sat right next to the stage, not more than 8 feet from Phil. Had a chance to chat with him a little between sets. I still have my original LP too, and like phannah, wore the grooves out from listening to it so much.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,737 Posts
I've posted this before, but I was there for the recording. Although it implies it was a one-night shot, I believe it was actually recorded over two nights. One of the things that really impressed me for a lifetime was the total commitment to the music and professionalism of the band because, unlike you might imagine, the club was not heavily populated that night. Yet the musicians played like they were playing for a packed house of very hip listeners.

Not to undermine your point Gary, because I'm sure you are right, but in this instance there was the added incentive of doing a live recording for major label release at a time when major labels weren't releasing a whole lot of jazz.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think for those of us that did not grow up listening to jazz, there is a song or an album that made us go, "Wait. That's it. This makes perfect sense. I get it now." Live At the Showboat was that album for me. It was exactly what I needed to hear at exactly the right time. This album nearly ripped my head off of my neck. Thanks Phil!!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think for those of us that did not grow up listening to jazz, there is a song or an album that made us go, "Wait. That's it. This makes perfect sense. I get it now." Live At the Showboat was that album for me. It was exactly what I needed to hear at exactly the right time. This album nearly ripped my head off of my neck. Thanks Phil!!!!
pretty much sums it up for me too.

Its about 1985. Not long started playing alto. I had learnt all the sax parts from an Lp by UB40 (UK reggae) and needed more sax to transcribe. Went to local shop and asked for "any sax" the guy suggested this album. My first jazz Lp. Took it home and thought. this is impossible!!! managed a few of the heads, and moved on. just going to look it now and rekindle some memories.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Was introduced to Phil by a friend in college, 1983. He had a book of transcriptions of Phil's Solos. Cheek to Cheek kicked my *****. To this day I love the album, and can listen to it daily. It just blows me away that there's not a single wrong note on it!!! While I play descent enough, that recording drives me to get better.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I listened to a couple of those tracks; thanks for posting them. I found them more satisfying than any other Phil Woods recordings I have heard. I wish there was a way to buy this legit, either from iTunes, amazon, or a physical CD.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This release linked below has much of the original recording, although it lacks the lovely 22 min. Brazilian Affair suite...otherwise, you might be able to track down a vinyl copy. Maybe check for available copy via interlibrary loan?

Speaks to one of the reasons I posted this thread - why is such a fine recording essentially "out of print"? It actually won the grammy for instrumental jazz that year!

And not only does Phil play incredible, Harry Leahey sounds terrific, and on and on...the group really plays together as a whole on this. I like Samba Du Bois which was mentioned earlier as well, but for me this was more satisfying overall. Very accessible, yet playing/improvising at the highest level.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phil-Woods/dp/B000008CMB/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314964845&sr=1-1

·
2,384 Posts
Had to share some links on this, one of my favorite jazz albums ever from one of my favorite alto players. Think this won a grammy or something in 1977, and was out-of-print for a long time.
Yeah, Shawn! One of the all-time greatest Phil Woods recordings ever -- and yeah, won a Grammy, yet somehow remains OOP and has never been entirely released on CD in the states. I played my LPs into dust...

The music business sucks.

The Showboat set came out during the same era as Musique Du Bois on Muse. I always liked the Muse set a little better. I'm not sure why - well for one thing I love the band with Jaki Byard, Alan Dawson, and Richard Davis.
And THIS would be the Other Damn Most Glorious Phil Woods recording EVAR -- quite a bit different from Showboat, in a good way, with that storied rhythm section!

For me, Du Bois really felt like a continuation of some of the more exploratory stuff Phil was doing as an ex-pat with the European Rhythm Machine; Showboat was tons more just plain straight-ahead. Both are sincerely glorious yet quite different: I suppose if I had to make a cruel Sophie's Choice between them, Du Bois would be the one that stayed with me (but I'd cry hysterically with a very convincing Polish accent...).

My favorite Phil album might be New Music by the New Phil Woods Quartet which I'm pretty sure never came out on CD, but that's entirely different. Has anyone else heard that one?
Ya know, I was fairly sure I had a lock on '70s Phil Woods, with a ton of ERM stuff that was never available in the states, and was gobsmacked to see this: ain't never heard of it, knew nothing about it!

It is indeed out of print and has never been released on CD, but that, of course, in This Modern Day World In Which We Live, didn't stop me from acquiring MP3s of it mere seconds after reading about it, and I listened to the first half last night.

There's some Really Great Stuff here -- though I'm not sure how I feel about Phil through a wah-wah pedal. Need to hear more and ponder. Thanks for pointing this one out, Rackety!!!

This release linked below has much of the original recording, although it lacks the lovely 22 min. Brazilian Affair suite...otherwise, you might be able to track down a vinyl copy. Maybe check for available copy via interlibrary loan?
Rumor has it that MP3s of the whole inexplicably OOP thing are out there... Anyone interested should send me an email...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts