Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil Woods and David Sanborn - "Señor Blues" transcription!

Hello everyone,

Just had a tonsillectomy this morning (major :(, man) so I'm basically stuck at home AND unable to practice(!) for about two weeks. Besides watching some movies and practicing piano, I've decided to finish some transcriptions I started a while back, along with starting some new ones.

These are my transcriptions of both Phil Woods' AND David Sanborn's parts & solos from their performance together on Ramsey Lewis's "Legends of Jazz" (you can watch and listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ZRz6uVrL4)

I particularly like David Sanborn's solo on this. Usually I can't stand someone playing in double-time or anything similar – in this case, 8:12 sixteenths – for so long, but something just clicked with me on this one.

Nifty tip: if all those quadruplets and octuplets (basically all of Sanborn's solo, and some parts of Wood's solo) look intimidating, simply ignore them and play those measures like they were in 2/4!

The transcription is in two parts: Sanborn's (Alto 1) transcription, and Woods's (Alto 2) transcription.

I've attached the individual parts, as I don't really see the need for the full score with only two alto players. If you really need it, email or PM are the ways to go.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Phil Woods and David Sanborn - "Señor Blues" transcription!

I Love that youtube clip. Nice job. Get well.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Any chance you would wanna transcribe the rhythm section parts as well? That would make me a very happy camper :D

·
Registered
236 Posts

I've always wondered how you transcribe a squeak. Now I know.

My solos would have quite a few more than Phil's 1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts