Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To many of you Phil Engleman needs no introduction. His work as a mouthpiece refacer is renowned and respected.

Many things have been said about his mouthpieces - expect this one:

Phil-Tone West Coast Alto

If anyone has played on one of these, I (and other people who may also be curios) would love to hear your thoughts.

Among anything you can tell us, please see if you can include the following:
- How does it compare to the sound, especially the tone, of a vintage meyer?
- Ever played a Vandoren V16? How do these two compare?

:bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
It sounds like neither. It is 180 degrees from a Meyer. It doesnt have the meyer buzz or tone at all.
It is nothing like a V16 as a V16 is kind of like a bright Meyer.

There will be a review sometime soon I believe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the man himself. Thank you.

This sounds like a very interesting piece.

The reason I'm asking is because the vintage Meyer sound, judging by what I've heard thus far, doesn't really hit the spot for me. I had the V16 A7M - that was way too harsh for me. Sold that and got a V16 A5M. That did the trick for me. The brightest piece in my collection - as bright as I'm willing to go at this stage - is now covered. Now I need some gaps filled toward the darker - but not much darker - end of the spectrum.

I have a feeling that this may be a much needed addition to my collection.

The only other mouthpiece that really tickles my fancy at the moment is the Ted Klum Acoustimax. Any chance someone, including the previous poster ;-), could compare the two?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
From the man himself. Thank you.

This sounds like a very interesting piece.

The reason I'm asking is because the vintage Meyer sound, judging by what I've heard thus far, doesn't really hit the spot for me. I had the V16 A7M - that was way too harsh for me. Sold that and got a V16 A5M. That did the trick for me. The brightest piece in my collection - as bright as I'm willing to go at this stage - is now covered. Now I need some gaps filled toward the darker - but not much darker - end of the spectrum.

I have a feeling that this may be a much needed addition to my collection.

The only other mouthpiece that really tickles my fancy at the moment is the Ted Klum Acoustimax. Any chance someone, including the previous poster ;-), could compare the two?
I can say without a doubt the AcoustiMax will be Way brighter if this piece(West Coast) is darker than Phil's Custom MeYer. I would not say the AcoustiMax is dark. It has a pretty bright sound kinda lead Alto bright. Think Sonny Stitt for the AcoustiMax, and for Phil's MeYer's I'd say Cannonball those two get a similar vibe but they have subtle differences. and I think Phil's West Coast piece is supposed to get you close to the Desmond, lee Konitz vibe.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had one of these when I was going through my Desmond phase. They are really good pieces. I've had two pieces from Phil and he does great work. Really smooth playing piece with a bit of resistance. Slightly quieter but then again that's what the west coast thing is about. If you like Desmond's sound than this is definitely a piece that wil get you there, although I've never played a Gregory. However, it's not for everyone. If you want to sound like Desmond or similar than I'd definitely recommend one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts