Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Jazz House's suggested review format because it seems complete. But I also wanted to post in its own thread since I would rather have comments.

PHIL-TONE TENOR .110

First Impressions: My absolute first impressions came from working with Phil before. He refurbished my FLA Link a while back and he was super easy to work with. I decided the minute I got the Link back that I was going to buy one of Phil's mouthpieces at some point. As for first impressions with the mouthpiece it's a funny thing because I think human nature kind of wants the mouthpiece to glow or have some special design when you buy something custom but that's not reality or even desirable. The devil is in the details as they say and all of the details are right with this one. This mouthpiece could be next to the definition of "Clean" in the dictionary. Rails and tip look perfect and the whole package just looks professional. I asked Phil to make this one just a tad brighter than stock since I end up playing a lot of commercial music.

Reed friendliness: No complaints whatsoever. I took the same reeds I had been using on the Link and slapped them on - they played great. I use Java 3 1/2 and the ones I had in my clip have been in there for a bit so they were starting to get a little soft. I will be working in some new ones this week and I expect that fresher reeds will feel just about right. My reeds matched the tip perfectly.

Response: Exactly what I was hoping for. The chamber is a bit smaller than the Link so I was hoping for a little bit more focus because the Link can be a little spread from time to time. I got just what I hoped for. The mouthpiece was comfortable right away. I think there's still a lot more for me to find in there but it certainly wasn't a setback to switch to it.

Tonal/Dynamic Flexibility: I'm really happy with this too. I realized a long time ago that I am going to sound like me no matter what. What I need is a mouthpiece that doesn't make that a chore. This is a mouthpiece that lets me be me and I feel like the whole horn is available to me. I can play soft or loud, I can play mellow or punchy, I can be me.

Other: I'm using the FL Pure Brass XL ligature and I think it works great. Intonation is also very comfortable for me on this mouthpiece. Once I had it in I was able to essentially forget it.

Conclusion: KEEPER! I've played it in my house, I've played it in rehearsals, and I've played it on gigs and I like it better all the time. This mouthpiece will not be leaving my horn for a very long time to come.

I have been curious about what a "stock" Phil-Tone (not a "tad" brighter) would be like but I'm not sending this one back...I may have to go back to Phil and get another one at some point. His Prices are great and he's a wonderful person to do business with or just to correspond with.

Here's a video from my second gig with the mouthpiece. It's a new band and this was our first gig. http://www.youtube.com/user/TechnicolorMHome#p/a/u/2/vtluK5NkhTo

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Great review, and nice playing! I've been playing on a Phil-Tone Custom tenor .105 piece for the past few years. Fantastic piece.

Thanks for contributing your experiences.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Cool Steely Dan Covers, really!
played in a similar project last year, and it was so much fun!
I have a custom alto piece from philtone.
The day, I'll buy a tenor, it will get a philtone, too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have phil tone custom meyer. It is for alto. I love it. Nice detailed review. Phil is very easy to work with and answered my questions. I have thought about the standard phil tone alto peice, but honestly I love my mouthpiece currently a lot, and that might be a case of GAS!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...especially Phil for the great work. :) I'm traveling this week for work (greetings from Seoul) but I really can't wait to get back and play my new mouthpieces some more (after I see my family and recover from jet lag of course).
-Barry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts