Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Two weeks ago I received my new Phil Tone Solstice and I cannot put into words how much I love it. Rather then have a long post reviewing it in every way I will just post a couple recordings of my duo with me playing on a standard Meyer and then of the Solstice. Tell me what you think!

Meyer1: http://soundcloud.com/evan-kilgore-quartet/giant-steps-1

Meyer 2:http://soundcloud.com/evan-kilgore-quartet/wave-1

Solstice1: http://soundcloud.com/evan-kilgore-quartet/confirmation-duo

Solstice2:http://soundcloud.com/evan-kilgore-quartet/hot-house-duo

Solstice3:http://soundcloud.com/evan-kilgore-quartet/all-the-things-duo

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice playing! I really like Phil's mouthpieces but I have to go with Meyer. I like the warmer tone if the Meyer, but the response of the solstice sounds good. Phil makes a real nice custom Meyer as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with Vandlay...and I really like your playing as well. I play a 'The Martin' Alto paired with a Phil-Tone Meyer and its the best set-up I've ever had. The Solstice has a drier edgier ( and to me) cooler tonality to it. The Meyer has a warmer and rounder sound. They're both good but I lean towards the Meyer...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
Very nice playing, sounds real good. Play the piece that makes you happy. The one that for you standing behind the horn is better for you.
I prefer the Meyer too, only slightly- but both sound very nice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,288 Posts
#2 Meyer; but really, any one of them sounded like they could be anyone's first-choice piece. I think we have too many choices in life . . . DAVE

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I agree that in the clips the Meyer has a warmer sound and it really comes down player preference. For me, the solstice feels WAY better to play in terms of response,dynamics, and flexibility however I recorded this about a week ago which was a few days after I got the solstice. The two things that were the most off-putting about this particular Meyer was its lack of response especially in the low register and also it's somewhat harsh edge when pushed. I have been playing on this Meyer for the last 5 years so I have become fully accustomed to its strengths and weaknesses. I never felt comfortable pushing the Meyer and so I always played in a sort of reserved warmer manner. When I got the solstice I was just amazed at how good it felt even when pushed so I sorta become drunk with power! Since then I have gained a lot more of control over it and can make it sound very warm. I think the top quality of the Solstice is its versatility. That day I leaned towards a bright sound with a little edge on top but it can do the exact opposite when I need/want that. When I am playing, sometimes my Meyer would "get in the way" but the Solstice feels invisible in a way that it just gets outta the way and let's me make music. Kudos to Phil for an extraordinary piece

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,833 Posts
Thanks guys! I agree that in the clips the Meyer has a warmer sound and it really comes down player preference. For me, the solstice feels WAY better to play in terms of response,dynamics, and flexibility however I recorded this about a week ago which was a few days after I got the solstice. The two things that were the most off-putting about this particular Meyer was its lack of response especially in the low register and also it's somewhat harsh edge when pushed. I have been playing on this Meyer for the last 5 years so I have become fully accustomed to its strengths and weaknesses. I never felt comfortable pushing the Meyer and so I always played in a sort of reserved warmer manner. When I got the solstice I was just amazed at how good it felt even when pushed so I sorta become drunk with power! Since then I have gained a lot more of control over it and can make it sound very warm. I think the top quality of the Solstice is its versatility. That day I leaned towards a bright sound with a little edge on top but it can do the exact opposite when I need/want that. When I am playing, sometimes my Meyer would "get in the way" but the Solstice feels invisible in a way that it just gets outta the way and let's me make music. Kudos to Phil for an extraordinary piece
Easily the most important trait any mouthpiece can have. Stick with it!

- Saxaholic

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I've never been a fan of the Meyer, but I preferred it here too. The Solstice sounds kind of thin to my ears. Nice playing!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
"When I am playing, sometimes my Meyer would "get in the way" but the Solstice feels invisible in a way that it just gets outta the way and let's me make music"

Evan, that's reason enough to stay with the Solstice.

You've not had it that long so just grow with it.

It's a very rewarding mouthpiece.

I personally prefer your playing on the Solstice.

It's less "compact" in the lower register and cleaner in the upper.

Maybe post some more clips in a few months?

I hope you stick with it.

Best,

Alex

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I far prefer my sound on my Solstice over my reworked Meyer. For me the lows are a little better and the highs noticeably richer and fuller. If i push the Solstice I can get the same edge that the Meyer has but with that fullness.

I am now playing a Shadow alto and find the difference between the two to be much more noticeable on the Shadow than my SML.

The Shadow/Solstice combination works really well for my embouchure (which is Jerry Bergonzi's no embouchure embouchure)

·
1,244 Posts
I agree with Saxaholic in post #8!
The Meyer sounds a little stuffy in the low register, I would guess that the table is not flat, this may give a mouthpiece a sense of being darker. But as you say, this Meyer is a mouthpiece you have to "work against". While the Phil Tone perhaps sounds a little too bright, yet. But it will certainly change, because you are working "with" this mouthpiece and in a while you will sound like you, anyway

·
12,885 Posts
Phil can also make the piece a little darker if you like....that is part of the service you pay for when you buy directly from me.

I would first encourage you to spend time with it for a while and different setups etc...

My files can take off material but I dont have one that puts it back so really be sure.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
What no magic file Phil .......

·
12,885 Posts
If I could make files and drill bits that reapplied materials I would not be in the mouthpiece business.

....and Id be a millionaire writing you from a villa in the South of France.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phil can also make the piece a little darker if you like....that is part of the service you pay for when you buy directly from me.

I would first encourage you to spend time with it for a while and different setups etc...

My files can take off material but I dont have one that puts it back so really be sure.
Thanks for the offer but I love the piece the way it is and am playing on a little different setup that gets an all around darker and richer sound. Plus I like a little brightness for my lead alto playing

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I could make files and drill bits that reapplied materials I would not be in the mouthpiece business.

....and Id be a millionaire writing you from a villa in the South of France.
Are you telling me that your not already a millionaire?!? :bluewink:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys! Just wanted to post an update that I have recently started using Alexander DCs that work absolutely great for the Solstice. They give it the warmth and smoothness that most of you liked about the Meyer recordings while still having an excellent response and flexibility that my Solstice has. I will post a couple more recordings of my new setup in a couple weeks so I have some time to really grow into it. Thanks for all the comments, they really went a long way in helping me find the right setup to do this excellent mouthpiece justice. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts