Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else out there get there hands on this newer piece?

I've had mine since October, and I think it's great for what I was looking for, and that is lead alto playing. Not only is it extremely easy to project and sit on top of the section, it is just as easy to play soft. The tone is unified between registers, it really sings.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I also find mine allows me to cut through or play quiet West Coast-style tones, both very well. The only problem is that my dog starts howling when I practice. Doesn't do this on any mouthpiece with either tenor or soprano, or with my alto on any other mouthpiece. Just when I play the Rift. I wonder why? Perhaps the unusual two-step baffle puts out frequencies that dogs can hear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have little experience with alto mouthpieces, but this one interests me. Would you guys say it's a very bright piece? Are there any other mouthpieces you can compare it to?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wouldn't say that, although describing a sound in words is hard. I'd sure say it's loud. For a given amount of air, it's definitely louder than any other mouthpiece I've played. But I still think the sound is pretty rounded. At low volumes it still can sound pretty West Coast. Not much buzziness, at least when I play it. I've tried a few brighter mouthpieces but I really don't like a bright sound. I don't recall my dog barking and howling when I used others. Just this one. Maybe someone with advanced sound equipment can find out if the two-step baffle produces extra tones at pitches that people can't hear.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I hate asking questions like this, because i know it all boils down to personal taste, which is the obvious answer but I would like a start off point if i may ...
Expecting my new Rift in a few days ... to be on the receiving end of a 1925 Buescher Tru-tone ... probably a Vandoren masters lig (have an old 2 screw selmer, 2 screw meyer and rovner dark in the stable also) ... what reed are most of ya using on this baby? ... would hate for the mpc to arrive and my stock of reeds are to soft for it .. My stock for alto reeds right now are Vandoren java Red, Vandoren Blue and V16 in 2.5's and red java's in 3's. Also Royals in #3 Should i get some 3.5 reds somewhere?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been bouncing back between Java Reds and ZZs #3. I tried all forms of Vandoren jazz reeds and those seemed to work the best for me. Tip opening obviously plays a role, so if it's near what you are used to, your current reeds of choice should work fine, or at least be close. Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I hate asking questions like this, because i know it all boils down to personal taste, which is the obvious answer but I would like a start off point if i may ...
Expecting my new Rift in a few days ... to be on the receiving end of a 1925 Buescher Tru-tone ... probably a Vandoren masters lig (have an old 2 screw selmer, 2 screw meyer and rovner dark in the stable also) ... what reed are most of ya using on this baby? ... would hate for the mpc to arrive and my stock of reeds are to soft for it .. My stock for alto reeds right now are Vandoren java Red, Vandoren Blue and V16 in 2.5's and red java's in 3's. Also Royals in #3 Should i get some 3.5 reds somewhere?
Rigotti Gold 3 Light and V16 2.5.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
So, someone, (Phil?) chime in, please: the "Rift" is based on ... or is like ... what, exactly?

The biggest branches on the alto mouthpiece tree these days are arguably:

1) the Meyer branch (Phil Woods et al.)
2) the Berg branch (Dick Oatts et al.)
3) the Selmer Soloist branch (Kenny Garrett et al.)

Where does the Rift fit in?

·
12,885 Posts
Kelly, I cant say it falls into any of them. It is an unusual design.

Its definitely not a Meyer though it has a rollover.
Its not a Berg but it does have a drop off baffle near the window
Absolutely nothing remotely on the same planet as a soloist.

Here is the best I can say. Take a Meyer and a Berg...let them have a baby and then breed it with a link so you get a big low end.

(Allen, your goodies are in the mail)

·
12,885 Posts
Funny you ask. I have been toying around with added baffles in both my tenor pieces.

When baffle is added to the very focused Equinox it of course gets brighter. It also is a super powered laser beam....the focus is extremely tight, very directional. I dont know for sure what players want but it is a unique and really fun experience.

When I put it in a Eclipse which has a larger chamber it makes it brighter but it does not have that really tight focus of the Equinox.

Im always open to suggestions....Im leaning towards using the Equinox (focused) blank and adding the baffle if for no other reason that it offers an experience vastly different than most bright mouthpieces.

Generally the music gear business is slower in the summer. That is when I do more of my R&D work.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,219 Posts
Re : Re: Phil-tone Rift Owners Club

I played a big band gig recently (on alto), with one of what one might call a local celebrity of a sax player. He hasn't played in the band in months. He turned to me and asked, "Did you get a new piece? What is it? It sounds great." It was the Rift.
It happen also the same with my Aurora,so it go for all the model: very good design for every model and facing!

I'M in line for one of your experimental equinox... seriously.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts