Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned it here and there but I guess I will anounce that Phil-Tone will be moving overseas. So for Europeans there will be a new MPC maker in town! I will be doing the same thing...making my standard models, making custom pieces and refacing. I will be located not far from Font Romeu France (about 15 minutes away). See Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/6...8ed9378e8277dd35!8m2!3d42.5182933!4d2.0322172

I hope to keep working with my customers from the US. Shipping is really only a few dollars more and with my fast turnaround the work is probably quicker than sending to many of the popular guys out there. I will do my best to not raise prices but they may have to be bumped a bit due to VAT on raw products that I will import (blanks). That being the case it will not be a large increase. My shops in the US will continue to have my pieces and I will continue to ship direct to customers. Of course US customers pay no import taxes on mouthpieces.

If there are members in the region Id love to know. I will be living in a small village of 570 people. I am probably the only person who speaks english there other than my wife...the rest speak either French or Spanish. It will be a while before I have the skills to really socialize much. Id love to find some one I could meet up with to have a real conversation with on occasion. The city of Perpignan is a 3 hour bus ride (a really pleasant ride) and I have places to stay there as well. However, It would be cool to have some contacts not so far away.

My ETA is somewhere around November. Lots of Visas and things to do in advance.

Thanks,

Phil

The village and view from my future back yard.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I was just at Old Orchard Beach in Southern Maine last weekend- you could have just moved there if you want French speaking people! :)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,131 Posts
Good move, that's a lovely bit of France. I think the holy grail is actually hidden around there so you could be the first mouthpiece person on here to find itl. (The actual holy grail, not just the latest PPT :) )

I might pop by some time as I list my friends near Béziers every now and again.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Extremely nice place! I live near Montpellier but that's still a 3.5h drive.

You can get nice local wines there (Roussillon)... great local food at Font Romeu, but also at La Llagonne ... you can ski in the winter (don't forget to get chains)...

·
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Technically I will be in angoustrine-villeneuve-des-escaldes but it is too tiny to show on most maps without zooming in a lot. It's been in the planning for years and we finally decided to pull the trigger for a lot of reasons.

You are welcome anytime Pete. Not a big train ride to Latour-de-Carol which is about 15 minutes away.

Don't expect much space. We are to be living in a very small appartment...but who wants to be inside anyway!

Vries..you are not far from her brothers in Perpignan...I'd love to see more of your town...I've been through by train but have not had the chance to look around.

and yes, the view is not hard to look at every morning.

·
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now if only someone would come buy all the crap in this house and finish my projects

Will trade mouthpieces for labor lol

thanks mark. I'm tired of Oregon and the incessant rain. It snows over there but it's dry and sunny in the mountains. It doesn't snow as much as it used to. That hurts the area as it was a tourist spot. It's kind of like living in Colorado. Elevation is about 5000 ft

businesswise it offers a chance to expand in Europe. I've gotten into a few new shops over there this year and will be working on more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,684 Posts
Phil Barone used to talk about moving to France some day but it looks like it's going to be Phil Englewood**, instead . :twisted:

** I know it's "Engleman".. but couldn't resist

·
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha I wish. High taxes. But my cost of living will be lower.

I will take you up on that beer Sir.

Part of leaving is health care. I pay a fortune for so so insurance and the lady works partially for that. Other reasons too of course...aside from "Cuz I want to". Some practical reasons...others not. I figure you only live once. Why live with regrets. If it doesn't work out the airplanes come this direction too.

Engleman, not Englewood. :). No offense taken. I've been called worse. I did work in prison for 12 years doing mental health...so some was a whole lot worse!

so european players...get your refacing ready. I will probably offer a promotion for a while so folks figure out I'm there. I'd offer a long sale to Europeans but I can't undercut my vendors. That doesn't make for good relations. I'm already working with Sax On and may come every few months to do in store refacing and promotions. My shop in Geneva is a little far for that but I will try to drop by.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
What's up with all those stones piled up everywhere? Is there a vinyl fence shortage over there or something? What a dump. Don't do it.

·
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahaha

For the record the first pic is overlooking the village and I think that's an old farmhouse ...don't even remember if it's operating. My back yard is the second pic.

I know. I've got no taste. I was thinking, however, that I could make mouthpieces out of those rocks...

·
Vendor
15,453 Posts
Now if only someone would come buy all the crap in this house and finish my projects

Will trade mouthpieces for labor lol

thanks mark. I'm tired of Oregon and the incessant rain. It snows over there but it's dry and sunny in the mountains. It doesn't snow as much as it used to. That hurts the area as it was a tourist spot. It's kind of like living in Colorado. Elevation is about 5000 ft

businesswise it offers a chance to expand in Europe. I've gotten into a few new shops over there this year and will be working on more.

That is fantastic! New beginnings are exciting, and I know there will be wonderful things for you and your mouthpiece business. Embrace it and enjoy it, my friend.

·
12,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its really hard to embrace house painting!

I need a pair of ruby slippers to tap together...or a genie in a bottle. So much freakin stuff to do!

im not looking to get much larger...just maintain a steady presence. I have always prefered to be a one man show in business. Im not interested in changing that...but new stomping grounds will be cool.

Are we there yet...we wanna be there...

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
708 Posts
Welcome to Europe! If, no, when you make it to Rome, and I'm sure you will, all roads lead to the Eternal City, I'll be the first to offer you an authentic Italian cappuccino.

As it is, this site will help you practice your French, what with "Réponse rapide" and "Aller en mode avancé" everywhere.

Kenneth

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to Europe, great to have you here. I´m looking forward to your refacing expertise, and if you ever come around the western area of Germany, I´d be happy to offer you accomodation - just bring a suitcase full of MPCs with you that I can playtest...:)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts