Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that Phil-tone mouthpieces are of great quality and consistency, and I would like to try them on my alto. However, there are three mouthpieces which I can't decide from: custom meyer, Phil-tone alto, and Phil-tone west coast alto. If anybody can describe the differences (or, better yet, post sound clips) it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
I've heard that Phil-tone mouthpieces are of great quality and consistency, and I would like to try them on my alto. However, there are three mouthpieces which I can't decide from: custom meyer, Phil-tone alto, and Phil-tone west coast alto. If anybody can describe the differences (or, better yet, post sound clips) it would be greatly appreciated.
What are you looking to do with this mouthpiece? What kind of sound do you like on alto?

·
Registered
534 Posts
The best person who can describe the differences to you would be Phil himself. I can say that I own 2 Phil-Tone Meyer mouthpieces (6M and 7M) and I love them both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you looking to do with this mouthpiece? What kind of sound do you like on alto?
I'm looking for a nice lead alto piece for jazz. I'm not all that great at describing sound with words, but I can say I tried a theo wanne amma and loved it (Too much of a price tag, though).

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd say go with the custom meyer if you are looking for a lead alto piece. Then tell him to give it a little more brightness and edge than his standard meyer creation. Direct him to some clips of the amma like the ones on steve neff's website and I'm sure he can come pretty close. The phil-tone alto is a great piece too but may not have that instant pop that you may be looking for for lead alto. Its more an all rounder type piece in that you can easily shape the sound like how you want it. For me playing the phil-tone alto makes me feel like I am playing a tenor piece, not in sound but more in response and articulation. The meyer is a little more instant, direct and focused, and it plays like a good alto piece.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a matter of fact go the neffmusic.com and hear the clips for your self. Steve has clips of both of these pieces which will give you an indication of how they both sound. Look under the blog tab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a matter of fact go the neffmusic.com and hear the clips for your self. Steve has clips of both of these pieces which will give you an indication of how they both sound. Look under the blog tab.
Thank! That website was very useful! Now, can anybody tell me the differences of different tip openings?

·
Registered
201 Posts
From what I've read, Phil likes to open up the mouthpieces a little more than what it came with. Either way, if you talk to him, he'll probably make whatever you want

·
1,596 Posts
Thank! That website was very useful! Now, can anybody tell me the differences of different tip openings?
Phil and Theo's tip openings should be around the same. Phil's 6 are at 0.075, and Theo's should be at 0.076 which honestly to me doesn't make that much if any difference at all because Theo's piece has more baffle.

From what I've read, Phil likes to open up the mouthpieces a little more than what it came with. Either way, if you talk to him, he'll probably make whatever you want
I'm not so sure about this. Maybe you meant to say If you order a 6 he orders a 5 and opens it up to a 6? But even with that I'm not so sure about. But I now Phil does accurate work that plays great.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Phil and Theo's tip openings should be around the same. Phil's 6 are at 0.075, and Theo's should be at 0.076 which honestly to me doesn't make that much if any difference at all because Theo's piece has more baffle.

I'm not so sure about this. Maybe you meant to say If you order a 6 he orders a 5 and opens it up to a 6? But even with that I'm not so sure about. But I now Phil does accurate work that plays great.
No no, I mean that if you order a 6 he'll make it feel like a smaller 7. That's just my theory though

·
1,596 Posts
No no, I mean that if you order a 6 he'll make it feel like a smaller 7. That's just my theory though
No Phil's pieces are the same size as a modern day MeYer if the ones from the factory actually measure up to the correct specs. Phil's 6 measure a 0.075 a modern MeYer 7 measures at correct factory specs at 0.080+-0.002, so I don't think Phil's are as big as a small 7. Phil's piece do have more resistance than the standard stock MeYer's but not buy much IMHO, and Phil's respond much more consistently over the range of the horn. So maybe the resistance was what you meant?

·
12,707 Posts
Feel free to email me with any questions.

In terms of size I make the Meyers and my own alto piece with current Meyer measurements (5=.071 6=.076 7=.081 etc...)

I do open the throat a little bigger than original, not the tip (unless special openings are requested).

·
1,596 Posts
Feel free to email me with any questions.

In terms of size I make the Meyers and my own alto piece with current Meyer measurements (5=.071 6=.076 7=.081 etc...)

I do open the throat a little bigger than original, not the tip (unless special openings are requested).
I stand corrected it's a 0.076

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Stay tuned for big news from Phil himself in a few weeks(am I giving away too much?), as well as an updated, in-depth review from me, with new mouthpieces added...exciting stuff!

- Saxaholic

1 - 14 of 14 Posts