Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this new piece today.

WOW.

I am going for a dark, round warm tone, if that makes sense.

This piece is better playing than any I played in stores. I was on the fence about saving money and just getting a meyer to have the tone, or spending a little more and getting even rails, and the like.

I am glad I spent the extra money! The lower register is FAT and full and robust.High notes, and altissimo speak with ease and are equal in the breadth of body the piece gives them. This piece really blows more easily than the stock 5m's I tried. I tried 6 different ones.

I would recommend these pieces to any alto player, since I only have experience in the alto range. I would honestly recommend these to any player.

I didn't have the greatest mouthpiece before, and now I have an excellent one.

My search had me trying links, metal and HR, and anything in the store.

The search is over.

5 stars.

I am really satisfied.

I am going for a pepper/desmond type of tone, as far as the darkness goes. Laid back, subdued.

The articulation I can express with this piece is paramount.

If you turned up the volume on a factory meyer, this piece goes to 11!

Thanks to the maker of Phil-tones.

He is available through this site. His name is Sigmund451.
PM him or contact him through his website: Phil-tone.com

He has been a pleasant gentleman to work with. I received the piece in a very timely manner, and am a very happy customer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I got a Philtone 6m last year and agree with all of your comments. I'm more of a tenor player but for me this piece makes playing the alto much easier and enjoyable. Kudos to Phil!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome! Congrats on your Phil-Tone Meyer. I have one myself for my alto, 7M. I've never had the chance to play any other Meyer mouthpieces, though. I certainly like it much better than my Vandoren Java. Any particular reason why you went for the 5M as opposed to one a little more open?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, personally the tone of that versus the 6m's I tried was a personal preference. In the future I might go for something a little more open. When I played the 5m's in the store, it was just more suited to my approach. I felt it responded the best to my actual physicality and the way I blow notes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I got this new piece today.

WOW.

I am going for a dark, round warm tone, if that makes sense.

This piece is better playing than any I played in stores. I was on the fence about saving money and just getting a meyer to have the tone, or spending a little more and getting even rails, and the like.

I am glad I spent the extra money! The lower register is FAT and full and robust.High notes, and altissimo speak with ease and are equal in the breadth of body the piece gives them. This piece really blows more easily than the stock 5m's I tried. I tried 6 different ones.

I would recommend these pieces to any alto player, since I only have experience in the alto range. I would honestly recommend these to any player.

I didn't have the greatest mouthpiece before, and now I have an excellent one.

My search had me trying links, metal and HR, and anything in the store.

The search is over.

5 stars.

I am really satisfied.

I am going for a pepper/desmond type of tone, as far as the darkness goes. Laid back, subdued.

The articulation I can express with this piece is paramount.

If you turned up the volume on a factory meyer, this piece goes to 11!

Thanks to the maker of Phil-tones.

He is available through this site. His name is Sigmund451.
PM him or contact him through his website: Phil-tone.com

He has been a pleasant gentleman to work with. I received the piece in a very timely manner, and am a very happy customer.
I'm glad that your enjoying your new piece. I told you the Phil-Tone would be great.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it surpassed my expectations. I mean I had HIGH expectations!
I can't say enough how much easier it is to articulate notes, how much easier it is to paly than any stock piece I tried.
I am NOT a mouthpiece expert, I don't know what modifications he did, but it's the best saxophone investment, besides, the sax!
I can't be happier!

I have tried my hemkes, and my couple java reds. I think the Java's have a more buzzy reed sound. I feel the change in my approach, and the mouthpiece makes anything I try more effortless. It is by no means as "stuffy," say as the stock ones. The tone JUMPS out.

Man, I love it!

·
12,713 Posts
Im really glad you like it...and thank you, gentlemen.

As for tips I like them best in a 5 or a 6. Its not that anything is wrong with the larger tips. I simply feel that the overall design of a Meyer lends itself to medium tip openings. I feel that to be the case on HR Links as well. Of course everyone's mileage will vary and sound concepts vary even more so I suppose you can take that opinion with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you guys convinced me to save up easter and birthday money :)
i play a meyer 6m and really like it. the next step is to get a phil tone.

·
12,713 Posts
The hard rubber is fine, its the really erratic formation of the piece that is problematic. I do a lot of these Meyers and a substantial percentage of the factory pieces have tip rails that dont even touch the reed in a substantial amount of area. Of course there are the other issues as well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another satisfied Phil-Tone customer here! I sent him a 6M Meyer alto mouthpiece last year that was frustrating to play- stuffy, weak-sounding up high and quacked like a duck on the lower register. Sent it to Phil after a couple of emails describing what I was looking for sound-wise.Got it back from him within 10 working days and I couldn't believe how much better the Meyer was. I wasn't sure that I got the original piece back, it was so much improved. Completely effortless to control from top to bottom, singing altissimo notes, velvety smooth bottom end, and when I paired it with some Vandoren Java Red #2-1/2 reeds I found the perfect set-up for my Martin alto.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Effortless is the word that first came to mind upon arrival. A while later I would say I don't forsee another piece coming into the picture at all. My friend cja245 wants to get one for his alto, I let him try my piece.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also have one Meyer refaced by Phil.....I agree with you guys....it´s the easiest piece to play, and the sound is just perfect. Thanks to Phil!!!!

I wonder why I can´t get that easy feeling when playing my tenor. I still don´t have that perfect mouthpiece for it. I hope I will soon.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also have one Meyer refaced by Phil.....I agree with you guys....it´s the easiest piece to play, and the sound is just perfect. Thanks to Phil!!!!

I wonder why I can´t get that easy feeling when playing my tenor. I still don´t have that perfect mouthpiece for it. I hope I will soon.
Have you had a chance on PhilTone STM Link pieces (on tenor)? If you haven't, you should give them some serious blows...

·
12,713 Posts
Thanks fellows. Keep an eye open for my new piece coming out in 2-3 months. I dont introduce new pieces to the line just to have a new piece to inspire GAS. I think your really gonna like it. I had a fanstastic player in the shop playing pieces this afternoon. I asked him to try the prototype. His first question was "This isnt for sale right? ...You need this one?"

It is sweet...with several E's SWeeeet!

Keep your eyes open. I know I cant wait!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you mean the hard rubber one?....the first he advertises on his page as Custom Links and Meyers? ....I´m thinking about getting one of those.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts