Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys, I just got the Phil-Tone Intrepid for tenor and it's very definitely the most AMAZING piece I have ever played! Phil is a genius!

I want to briefly share my thoughts on this piece. I never did this kind of review up until now - I feel it really deserves to be shared, because this Intrepid is just incredible! For me it blew all the pieces away in every aspect. Not to take anything from anyone, but in my opinion this is something else.

It's very thick, free blowing with an extremely colorful voice - responding very efficiently to any embouchure/air/throat change, dark but with a bit of sizzle and projection without ever becoming harsh! I went from a websterish/youngish subtone ballad kind of thing to free screaming multiphonics a la Ayler/ D.S. Ware and this piece just follows along. It's got very consistent frequencies throughout the range which I believe allows for a natural/vocal quality of the sound.

I want to take a moment to recommend Phil Tone's work and the Phil Tone Intrepid in particular. Not to mention he responds very! fast to any inquiry and I felt he really followed my wishes when crafting the piece. He really listens! Phew, I'm excited! Tomorrow I'll have a recording session and I can't wait to play it, perhaps I'll post an excerpt here.

Anyway...Thank you very much Phil, I would like to shake your hand, Sir.

I'm really curious...who else tried this piece or plays one today?

Take care everybody!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
Amen, Alex. I’ve been playing the Intrepid for a year or so, and agree on all counts. I am committed - sold my mouthpieces by Klum, Barone, Allen, and Lamberson.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amen, Alex. I’ve been playing the Intrepid for a year or so, and agree on all counts. I am committed - sold my mouthpieces by Klum, Barone, Allen, and Lamberson.
I hear you, Dr. G! I believe we have similar (good :D) taste. I hope more people play this, it deserves to be played!

·
33,522 Posts
Alex, I think some people are thrown by the idea that this bears some semblance to a Resotone and believe that it plays with some subtle, smokey vibe, and no volume or resonance. Quite the contrary. Mine goes to 11 in volume and projection, and has no problems in soloing over a 17 piece big band. I love the immediacy of its articulation, and broad palette of tones. (Yes, it’ll do “smokey”, too - hate that term.) This is no one trick pony - unless the rider doesn’t know how to manage it. This is the most rewarding piece that I’ve played in a long time (and for me, we’re talkin’ 40+ years on tenor).

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought my Intrepid from Phil just as he was getting ready to move to France and he had a special sale going. He returned all emails quickly, listened to my input and recommended the 7* Intrepid. I received it within about a week. It's an amazing piece, truly a joy to play. I've tested a lot of the pieces out there (many very good pieces) but the Intrepid outperforms them in tone, flexibility and response. And Phil is a great guy to deal with.

I do play my Jody Jazz Giant a lot because it gives me similar sound and response but with a bit more cut and projection for rock, R&B, blues. With these two pieces I'm a very satisfied guy in the mouthpiece arena. I do not have a desire to try different pieces now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,055 Posts
Thanks for the nice review Alex and comments from others.

Im really glad you are enjoying the piece.

Sometime, if you happen to be an alto player, you should give he Intrepid a spin on that horn.

Phil

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I'd love to try an Intrepid tenor, once my GAS tank's refilled. But I've also been anticipating your new line of French-branded pieces. When will we see a Phil-Tone Beguine, Marseillaise, Quartier Latin, or Bal-Musette?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,055 Posts
I dont know how many new models will come out of France.

I do have an idea or two simmering, but in all honesty, mpc makers and companies tend to release model after model in order to instigate GAS.

I really dont want to make a lot more pieces than I already do. I enjoy my work and I like to keep busy but Im not into mass production. This is one reason I left the big box stores like WWBW and Sam Ash. I prefer to work individually with players and top notch specialty stores that care for what their customers want. I had a 25 year career in as a psychologist. I dont need to go full bore like Im 30 years old because Im not:) I like the pace in which I work and rather than introduce model after model every 4 months I would prefer to improve my craft. Even after 15 years there is always more to learn and there is more to squeeze out of each model.

Anyway, like usual, I am rambling. Any time you would like to put the Intrepid through its paces give me a shout. I think you will enjoy it. Will it be for you? I cant say....but at a minimum, I think you will find it an interesting ride.

...not much more we can ask from life!

·
33,522 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts