Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Tenor, and alto..
106 Posts
First of all thank you immensely for the privilege Philip to start this pass around.
I've just received the Intrepid alto mouthpiece along with a couple of outstanding corrective refacing jobs from Phil.

The refacing work from Phil is out of this world, I had actually given up on alto and haven't played my Reference 54 for at least 8 years. However, Phil's mouthpieces have enthused enormous motivation in taking up both tenor AND alto despite the extra work involved.

Regarding the Intrepid.
Ease of play : this mouth piece is extremely easy to play and makes alto just that much easier, with the right reed. In fact all of Phil's mouthpieces come with 'ease of play' meaning highly responsive and enhancing the possibility to play quietly or very loudly as you wish.
Automotive design Rectangle Auto part Automotive exterior Office supplies
Audio equipment Cone Font Metal Tints and shades

Tone : Contrary to most alto mouthpieces I have this one seems to come over like a more TENOR sounding piece, its darker and rounder sounding than my other two. Not so much baffle maybe? I'm not an expert but it is definitely much darker on the whole.

Quality? : It has this wonderful smokey rubber smell to it, very much like my Early Babbit yet it is not an Otto Link copy. The finish is impeccable and the rails look great.

I'd highly recommend this mouthpiece for anyone to try. If I didn't already have two wonderful alto pieces reface by Phil... I'd probably fork out for this one too...

MP me if you would like to try it out, not too soon, I'm enjoying it while I can!

Mike Wilson

Reactions: florian

· Registered
1,185 Posts
I am a fan of the alto Intrepid for some years now. Great mpc that not gets enough attention in my eyes. For me it is a must try mpc if i would look for a new mpc but i already own 2 of these (different tip openings). The Intrepid and the Solstice are few of the alto mpcs out there that really impressed me and i tried a lot.
Here is a recording i did for a Totm a long time ago on the Intrepid alto (i think it was a 6 but i now use more often the 7 tip opening): https://soundcloud.com/user-844412529%2Fhaunted-h

· Registered
2,813 Posts
I bought an Intrepid for a tenor player friend (Paula) who added alto sax to her skill set. It has exceeded her expectations, does not impede her access to and from the altissimo registers, gives a beautuful rich tone on each alto she has played. Paula, among the most fastidious players I know, simply adores her Intrepid. It took more than a little nudging but I did eventually get Paula to contact Phil directly to discuss her wants. Paula has been smiling ever since :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts