Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I've searched extensively for this topic for a few months and wanted to start a thread devoted to these pieces. My history on lead alto pieces are:

Lakey 4*4 & 5*3 (4 years, squirrelly intonation, and harsh at times)

Jody Jazz DV 8 (2 years, great sound, flexible, but difficult to control in high register (maybe too freeblowing?))

and temporarily....a borrowed modern day Meyer 7 small chamber.

I tried a NY Meyer Bros .81 refaced by Brian Powell and LOVED it, but just could not justify the price. Tried a Jody Jazz HR and it will not fit on the cork far enough because of the metal ring on the neck of my Selmer S80 II. After reading all over the web and SOTW, I've narrowed my search to these three.

My questions are:

1. How do they compare to each other?

2. How musically flexible are they (straight ahead, smooth jazz, rock, crossover classical, etc.)

3. How is the projection?

4. How is the intonation throughout registers?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If someone would like to compare two of the three, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
The most important information is missing from your thread...what are you trying to accomplish, what are you looking for in a mouthpiece?

If you know and can articulate what you want simply call/email Phil and let him begin to build you a mouthpiece based on your wants and needs.

JR

·
Registered
428 Posts
All I have to add is that about a year back I came across a Morgan mouthpiece for my soprano and I instantly loved it. So much that I now play exclusively on Morgan mouthpieces for all of my horns. As for the other mouthpieces mentioned, new Meyers don't do much for me; I didn't feel like I could really project with them. I really disliked the Lakeys I tried. I don't have much experience with Cafe Bros. or the Jody Jazz DV series mouthpieces.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@RandyJ: Thanks for the reply! A custom mouthpiece from RPC or Phil-Tone is a possibility, but I'm really looking for a comparison of these particular stock mouthpieces before I venture in the custom market.

@JazzFox: Morgan mpcs seem to get good reviews on here. Which model did you buy? I considered the Jazz and Excalibur.

·
1,596 Posts
I Have A Phil-Tone Custom MeYer, and Have had a N.Y. Cafe Bros, and the Morgan Jazz. To me the brightest out of the 3 is the Morgan Jazz, but it did have a great solid core to the sound, very versatile mouthpiece, Then there is the Phil-Tone MeYer which i find has a more complex sound than the Morgan, slightly darker, nice amount of resistance like the Morgan as well as the N.Y. Cafe Bros. and then the N.Y. Cafe bros is the darkest of the 3 but non of them is actually that dark. the cafe bros has a nice FAT sound to it compared to the others but, it had the wackiest intonation up top. I mean I had this experience on all of the MouthpieceCafe pieces I tried and it's the palm keys. They just go way sharp with the slightest amount of pressure.

NON of the following pieces are going to be as loud as the JJDV though. They are loud enough for lead and they all have a pretty traditional sound. Cannonball-ish vibe etc. ask if you have any other question.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Have A Phil-Tone Custom MeYer, and Have had a N.Y. Cafe Bros, and the Morgan Jazz. To me the brightest out of the 3 is the Morgan Jazz, but it did have a great solid core to the sound, very versatile mouthpiece, Then there is the Phil-Tone MeYer which i find has a more complex sound than the Morgan, slightly darker, nice amount of resistance like the Morgan as well as the N.Y. Cafe Bros. and then the N.Y. Cafe bros is the darkest of the 3 but non of them is actually that dark. the cafe bros has a nice FAT sound to it compared to the others but, it had the wackiest intonation up top. I mean I had this experience on all of the MouthpieceCafe pieces I tried and it's the palm keys. They just go way sharp with the slightest amount of pressure.

NON of the following pieces are going to be as loud as the JJDV though. They are loud enough for lead and they all have a pretty traditional sound. Cannonball-ish vibe etc. ask if you have any other question.

Thanks so much! I assume since you play a Phil-Tone 6 that you tried the others in a 6? I was considering a 7 since I liked the NY Meyer Bros in .081 and the Meyer 7 small chamber I'm playing now.

That's interesting about the sharp palm key notes...exactly one of my probs with the DV; just not sure if it's me fighting the 8 tip opening. What about intonation on the Morgan vs the Phil-Tone? Did you order the stock Phil-Tone Meyer or make special requests (baffle, etc...) for the one you ordered?

·
1,596 Posts
Thanks so much! I assume since you play a Phil-Tone 6 that you tried the others in a 6? I was considering a 7 since I liked the NY Meyer Bros in .081 and the Meyer 7 small chamber I'm playing now.

That's interesting about the sharp palm key notes...exactly one of my probs with the DV; just not sure if it's me fighting the 8 tip opening. What about intonation on the Morgan vs the Phil-Tone? Did you order the stock Phil-Tone Meyer or make special requests (baffle, etc...) for the one you ordered?
For me I ordered it the way Phil makes them, didn't ask for anything specific, I got every piece in a 6, just remember the N.Y Cafe does have a bit of resistance to it. the Intonation on the other pieces are pretty normal. just the typical things you would find on a horn.

·
1,596 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I have no intonation issues on my Mouthpiece Cafe NY alto mouthpiece. It is a superb mouthpiece, a great value for the price.

·
1,596 Posts
I have no intonation issues on my Mouthpiece Cafe NY alto mouthpiece. It is a superb mouthpiece, a great value for the price.
Hmm, thats kinda weird because it happened on my N.Y. Cafe Bros, as well as my Espresso. I thought it was only me in the beginning but I let a couple of my friends as well as my teacher to try it, and they all went sharp on it in the palm keys.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do they have the Banded shank? If they do they are Excaliburs
The Alto and Tenor pieces have the banded shank while the Soprano does not (probably due to its small size). So I would say my Alto and Tenor pieces are both Excaliburs.

·
1,596 Posts
The Alto and Tenor pieces have the banded shank while the Soprano does not (probably due to its small size). So I would say my Alto and Tenor pieces are both Excaliburs.
Yeah they're Excaliburs but I'm not sure if Ralph Morgan ever made one for Soprano.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts