Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,906 Posts
Used to listen to his show on the radio back in the ‘90s when I lived in NYC. Haven’t heard him in years but I can hear his voice distinctly.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
He had an unbelievable knowlege of Jazz. I used to listen to "Bird Flight" every day and the marathon broadcasts too.
RIP Phil

·
Registered
293 Posts
Man, I'm shocked. He'd said he'd recovered from that. His radio shows are still up so far. What a loss. He said he was planning a Herschel Evans ballad show, too. Was looking forward to that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So sorry to read this. Lived in NJ in the 90s for school and put my clock radio (remember clock radios?) on WKCR to listen to Phil's program on Bird every weekday morning. Some days I'd want him to stop talking about what Bird had for lunch the day of a session and start the music playing, but his passion was undeniable. Saw him in person once introducing musicians at an early Charlie Parker Festival in Tompkins Square, where he was truly in his element. A great loss.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,831 Posts
Man, I'm shocked. He'd said he'd recovered from that. His radio shows are still up so far. What a loss. He said he was planning a Herschel Evans ballad show, too. Was looking forward to that.
Wow, that would've been really great - the Herschel Evans ballad show, I mean .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts