Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, just wanted to say I got my re worked Otto Link from Phil and it is awesome. He made a 5* into a 6 for me and it played perfectly from the first blow.
It was so comfortable to play from the start that I rehearsed with it on Thursday, and played it on the weekend after only having it for two days. Thats pretty unbelievable, but it was like it had been my mp for months.
It is reed friendly, the intonation is great, and it produces a nice thick but focus sound with just the touch of edge that I wanted. It is also free blowing.
He is amazing . Just by talking over the phone and through emails he made a mp
that is exactly what I was looking for.
I am sure as I have longer to play it and experiment with reeds etc it will get only better. I use plasticovers this weekend, ( which I normallly do not use but needed
something that could respond after sitting for 30 to 40 min.) . Now I get to try other reeds and ligs on it until I find what plays easiest and best for me.
The most noticable difference for me is that it retains that thickness it the upper register. Perfect for me.
I am so lucky, because I have Phil's mp and also a mojo refaced jazz piece that is also excellent. I really wont have to look any more for mp's because I am completely satisfied and can use either one depending on what I need. I believe my quest is over. Suggestions for ligs and reeds will be accepted.
Props to Phit-tone for producing another great mp and happy customer.
If you are debating about a mp from him, stop it. I did, but pulled the trigger and am
not disappointed. Rather soooooo Pleased.
Thanks Phil:mrgreen:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah, I love my PhilTone-STM 7 too. It works awesome with RJS-3S or V16-2.5 reeds (for me, anyway)... Yup, yup... great mp is hard to find... Congratulation

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Phil's work is top notch. I recently had him work his magic on a scroll shank alto piece. The work on the mouthpiece is very nicely done. The work is crisp and clean. It has a nice round sound with great control all over the horn. The tone remains full up high without getting shrill and is nice and focussed at the bottom without getting tubby. It has lots of character and sweetness, yet you can get some edge if needed. It is very versatile and flexible. I have worked with Phil before and would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone. He is very easy to work with and produces great mouthpieces at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I play exactly the same mpc as you, and found a combination that is just right for me with a Rovner Legacy lig and Alexander Classique reeds. Hahn reeds are also a lucky choice for that mpc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts