Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between sending off a modern production Meyer to Phil Engleman and having a Meyer Bros. mouthpiece? I've tried one of my friend's Meyers from him and I wondered if it was what a NY Meyer would be like. The one I tried was a 6M that was opened up to a 7M. The inner walls of the mouthpieces seemed to just be slightly more round than my regular Meyer.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Phil's "Custom Meyer" is a fantastic mouthpiece - as good or better than most NY Meyers that I've played. The biggest difference is in the quality of the hard rubber. Vintage Meyers have that vintage HR that tastes and feels different in the mouth. Modern Meyers feel kinda "plastic" by comparison. Otherwise, there's not much difference in terms of tone or playability. Certainly not enough difference, IMO, to justify the ~$300 pricetag compared to a ~$800+ pricetag.

Note: Said by someone who's owned his fair share of NY Meyer Bros. and "regular" NY Meyer mouthpieces. I currently play a "Custom Meyer" and don't miss my vintage pieces.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you talking about the "new NY Meyer" or vintage Meyer NY? I have never played a vintage Meyer but I've tried the "new Ny Meyers". I was pretty impressed with the new NYs but as usual with Babbitt they are all different, to me it seems like the new NYs quality is better than the regular stock meyer though.

I don't have to much experience with Phil but I have had a tenor link refaced by him that he did an awesome job with and I've tried a few of his pieces and been very impressed by his work.

If you're going to buy without trying I guess your best odds is to buy from Phil (and I think he has a return policy). I've never met him but I like reading his comments on the forum and he seems like a really nice, serious guy and it seems like he's a perfectionist with his work and I personally like to support those kinds of people.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm playing his Le Son (https://phil-tone.com/alto/le-son) which is his take on the Meyer. It's extremely good.

He does have a return policy and is generally awesome to deal with :) Definitely all of the adjectives above apply, and he produces great stuff.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
What's the difference between sending off a modern production Meyer to Phil Engleman and having a Meyer Bros. mouthpiece? I've tried one of my friend's Meyers from him and I wondered if it was what a NY Meyer would be like. The one I tried was a 6M that was opened up to a 7M. The inner walls of the mouthpieces seemed to just be slightly more round than my regular Meyer.
About 1,000 dollars.......... Every mouthpiece is slightly different so it is impossible to compare a hypothetical Phil-Tone Meyer with the whole range of Meyer Bros. mouthpieces. Phil is a great mouthpiece craftsman and the bottom line is how does the piece on your horn play.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts