Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely incredible performance. This is a must watch. James Carter, PeeWee Ellis, Gerald Albright, Sadao Watanabe, George Duke,

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
One of my favourite videos of Gerald Albright, his playing is so killer along with everyone else’s. Thanks for sharing!

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everyone’s killing it, but I give the grand prize to James Carter on this one....

·
3,938 Posts
They each played the best. Not second place here. I’ve seen this video many times. Great to see it posted.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I’ve seen this video so many times and it just does not get old!
Everybody’s playing great and my friend James Carter just never lets me down.The stuff that comes out of his horn is mind blowing for us mere mortals.
Great energy from all the sax players!
Everytime I hear this, I just wish Phil would have fed off of what the players were doing rhythmically, etc, instead of just keeping the time going. That would’ve taken it off the charts for me.
How great it would’ve been to hear Michael Brecker with that grouping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
very nice.

Though it is a 21 year old video.

Most people aren’t in such a great shape now, some have died.

I saw Pee Wee Russel a couple of years ago playing with the late Ginger Baker and he needed to lean on a high stool to perform.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I saw Pee Wee Russel a couple of years ago playing with the late Ginger Baker and he needed to lean on a high stool to perform.
I suspect you meant Pee Wee Ellis — Pee Wee Russell would have required more than high stool!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Indeed :) Pee Wee Ellis (which features in the video above).

·
Registered
230 Posts
I’ve seen this video so many times and it just does not get old!
Everybody’s playing great and my friend James Carter just never lets me down.The stuff that comes out of his horn is mind blowing for us mere mortals.
Great energy from all the sax players!
Everytime I hear this, I just wish Phil would have fed off of what the players were doing rhythmically, etc, instead of just keeping the time going. That would’ve taken it off the charts for me.
How great it would’ve been to hear Michael Brecker with that grouping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUymU2T2cJQ

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great video. Love James Carter. My rock/ska band is currently working on an arrangement where the trombone and trumpet answer the sax line instead of the guitar.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Everyone can go home after Gerald Albright's solo IMO. He just absolutely kills it in every way. While I respect what Carter can do, Albright just has the more musical solo to me and it's more enjoyable to listen to. Some great players on that stage.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
232 Posts
OMG...great band, great comping from GD, JC is Mister Excitement w/ a sax. And Gerald was absolutely musical in every way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts