Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
hey guys, it's me, the OP. you might be interested in my long term update.

So the reason I was asking about a PB and a JS in the first place is they were the two cheapest sources of a brand new sax of at least somewhat reputable quality. I wasn't as familiar with sax brands back then and these two looked the most promising in terms of getting me the best sax for the least money. I'm an amateur player and I had an amateur's budget. I've had some good experiences with Chinese made electronics and parts in the past (my CNC machine is 100% Chinese components, from the stepper motors to the linear rails. the machine works flawlessly and has held up over the years). So I wasn't entirely sold on the idea that just because it was from China it was junk. Anyway, based on the cult-like love for the PB people on this forum seem to have I went with the PB. I bought mine right before he hiked up the price $500 across the board.

My experience with the horn was mostly positive. I liked it but never loved it. It did some things better than my old YTS-23, but my YTS-23 did other things better. Eventually it came down to tone. I never fell in love with the sound it made and there were others saxes I could have bought for the same money used that I think I would have liked more.

I did end up selling the barone and didn't take as much of a bath on the resale price as you guys seem to think I would have. I had the PB for about a year and a quarter and what I lost was about equivalent to what it would have cost to rent a nice horn for a year. Not a total loss as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, the proceeds from selling the Barone completely covered the cost of a Selmer Omega that I recently bought. It has things I liked about the Barone (response), fixes the things I didn't like about the Barone (ergos), and has a tone I am falling in love with.

It would have been nice to go straight to the Omega over a year ago but I knew much less about sax brands and models back then as I do know, nor do I think I'd appreciated the Omega as much if I hadn't had the Barone. It was also hard not to think the PB was the end-all-be-all of modern saxes based on the cult like fanaticism from this forum.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
You are correct that the over the top love of the Barone on exists with a few people on this site. Recently a silver plated one sold for $1500 in very good condition. The lacquer ones sell for no more than $1200 in most cases. The Omega is a great horn. Congrats.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts