Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought one off these from Phil on ebay for $119. What a bargain for a very nice mpc! I love it, especially with Alexander Superial D.C. reeds!
It's my new favorite. Grab one if you can! Projects well, dark and rich sound.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
How would you describe it? I remember when Phil first started with these he described them as a Berg without the problems, now it seems he likens them to Links. Unless he has different mpc with the same or similar names.

·
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am a poor describer! I have tried both modern metal Bergs and Links, and prefer it to both. It seems slimmer than a Link and is nicely finished in gold plate. Relatively low baffle. I was very pleasantly surprised that for $119 I could get a piece I liked better than any of the other big name mpcs I have tried.:shock: If you try one, slap a D.C. on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Barone mpcs

Joe Jazz

I picked up a Barone Hard rubber vintage model 7* that I quite like as well. I got it from Phil off of ebay at a nice price. I had been using Morgans and was reasonably happy.The Barone Vintage HR was an experiment because of the low price. It gives me a fatter, darker, richer sound and is pretty easy blowing at the same time. The mouthpiece has a bigger size or profile, which still feels a little weird, but it seems worth it.

I haven't been able to try the Morgan 7L or 8L and its quite possible that those would give me what I want to hear. Maybe one day I'll find one!

In the mean time...good work Phil !

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Thanks Joe,

Quite happy with my Bootman refaced Link, but always curious. I see his latest auction he doesn't compare it to anything.

btw what facing did you get?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
Bill, I had a couple of these when they first came out. I shared them with students as excellent alternatives at the price point. If they remain the same, they are CNC 'pieces that are more Berg-like than Link-like. Too focused on my horns for my tastes but sounded great on one student's Cannonball Global Big Bell tenor.

It'd be interesting to compare it to the apparent Berg knockoff that Otto Link came out with a few years later. Hmmm, I wonder who's making them... ;)

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
@Joe Jazz:; boot is a great guy, whom I have really neglected lately. ;)

@ Dr. G: I like a bit more spread in my sound as well, though with my Buffet SDA being on the dark side a bright mpc does help. I have a Rovner Deep V that I find too focused sounding for my taste. the Link RG doesn't really look much like Philsey's piece. Those little dimples in the sides are interesting though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
the Link RG doesn't really look much like Philsey's piece.
Thanks. I've never had an RG in hand. Now I can put that question out of mind.

Bill Mecca said:
I like a bit more spread in my sound as well, though with my Buffet SDA being on the dark side a bright mpc does help.
I just sold a Saxscape Uptown that was too bright for my tastes. Have you considered one of those?

Keep an eye out for Nef's next round of mouthpiece trials - it could be interesting. ;)

·
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill Mecca said:
@Joe Jazz:; boot is a great guy, whom I have really neglected lately. ;)

@ Dr. G: I like a bit more spread in my sound as well, though with my Buffet SDA being on the dark side a bright mpc does help. I have a Rovner Deep V that I find too focused sounding for my taste. the Link RG doesn't really look much like Philsey's piece. Those little dimples in the sides are interesting though.

Bill- I know the pic makes it look like it has dimples on the side, but the piece I received does not...

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I tried a Saxscape that MarkR let me borrow,the Red River, it had been worked on a bit but wasn't very reed friendly, at least with the reeds I like to use (fibracell, V16, ZZ and plasticover).

I'm just more curious than anything. I've been playing the link for more than a year (a record for me) and have been quite happy with it, actually thinking of having a backup made.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Joe Jazz said:
Bill- I know the pic makes it look like it has dimples on the side, but the piece I received does not...
I had one of these also, a couple years ago. It didn't have the side dimples, which seem to be there on the pictures. I wondered if he changed the design.

Anyway, I also bought it for the price level. I found it to be quite good, but it needed exactly the right reed (don't remember what brand that reed was). I've since traded it away, but I thought it was a good mouthpiece for the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Bill,

Boot is in great shape. He's flat out, like a lizard drinking, but that's usual for him. I played a Boot refaced link on that "Saints: Know your product," thing last week. Looking forward to getting the DVD of the show,so I can hear how it sounded.
Any faults will be ascribed to the mouthpiece. Any good things...I'll take all the credit. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,230 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
How would you describe it? I remember when Phil first started with these he described them as a Berg without the problems, now it seems he likens them to Links. Unless he has different mpc with the same or similar names.
That's not true, these mouthpieces are far different than both Berg Larsens and Otto Links. The "Standard" baffle is very different and it has a small chamber. I bought one on eBay expecting a "Larsen without the problems" but my worse Larsen is easier to play with and sounds better than the Standard. I'm very disappointed with this mouthpiece. Sound is too bright and thin for my tastes and hard to control. I'm selling this mouthpiece in the market place. If somebody wants my mouthpiece even after my complains, the link is:
http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60396

·
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It just goes to show you, one player's treasure is another player's trash. I found the Barone standard much easier to play than a metal Berg(I've tried several over the years)and prefer the sound.......I found it to be dark and rich, as I said before....easy to control...but then, mine is a 7....

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
luispa what's not true?

my post paraphrased how Phil described them in his ebay ads. I believe what I said is true, if you have a problem with how Phil described his pieces then please make that clear.

I do remember the earlier "Standard" model having a bullet-type baffle and the current one seems to have a straight drop off

current auction

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
luispa said:
Sound is too bright and thin for my tastes and hard to control
My initial impressions were positive when first I bought 'The Standard' a while ago but now I would have to agree with the above statment.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts