Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Nicely written review. I appreciate that you waited until you had played the horn for a few months before penning a review letting the "honeymoon" period expire. Reviews written after several weeks or months always seem a bit more objective to me than those written within hours or days of delivery.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
I remember buying my Classic tenor from Phil a few years ago, and everything Kristy says is right on the money. Reading Phil's many posts here on this forum, and my brief conversations with him about mouthpieces, Phil is extremely knowledgeable and more important, practical. He's knows what's important and what isn't.

My PB Classic tenor is every bit a match for my 100K Mark VI, it's a fabulous instrument. Anyone seriously considering a new tenor should without a doubt check out the Barone offerings. Many folks say that the "value" of these horns is what pushed them to buy, but in fact my tenor would have been a great buy at double the price. They are every bit the equal of any horn on the market today.

Congrats Kristy, you did good! And Bluto, you are right, Phil is a class act. More important, he backs up the class with years of hard-won experience and knowledge. He's the real deal, and so are his instruments and mouthpieces.
I agree with you Steve. I love my Classic as well and have spent more hours/ gigs on it than any other instrument I own. I think the important thing about the "value" is that Phil makes the horns very approachable by keeping the price so low. It isn't until after the fact that you realize how good the value is. Most people don't want to "take a flier" on a really expensive horn that they can't play-test but at $1700ish for a tenor it's reasonable enough to have a go without being able to try the horn first. The other tenor I play a lot, especially for jazz combo gigs, is a Tenor Madness Custom. This is just a fantastic horn for me but I never would have paid the $4k for it without playing it first. I bought my Classic in March of 2008 for $1250 and every time I play it I feel like I stole it, almost like I should send Phil another $100 to even the deal out. Used ones are often a crazy good value as well. When I see these come up for sale here I'm always tempted to buy another but I just have too many horns to play at this point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.