Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As is well known there are two offerings of the Barone saxophones, the Classic and Vintage.
Many Barone owners, me included were faced with the dilemma of, which one to choose.
There are reviews and descriptions of the sound characteristics of these saxes, in this forum, and Phil himself is always very helpful in helping people decide which one to go for.
I have read all I could find, and the general conclusion is the Classic has similarities with the Selmer MKvi (brighter and centered) and the Vintage with the Conn 10m (darker and spread).

Phil argues that sound clips are not the best way to come to a conclusion as to a saxophones character and tone due to the many variables involved.

I agree with him to a certain extent, but he can at least have a good and competent player play the horns side by side with the same mouthpiece and reed, just to give people an indication of the differences between the two horns.

Until he decides to do so, I propose that we gather all the recordings we can find on the net of Barone saxophones, in this thread.

I'll start with what I found so far. If anyone playing in a particular recording objects to this please inform me and I will remove the link.

Barone Classic tenor
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1016581&songID=8953773

Barone Vintage Tenor
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10176191&q=hi&newref=1
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9371904&q=hi&newref=1
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8769372&q=hi&newref=1 pbmac8
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?q=hi&songID=10832775 PBmac8

Koumou

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
4th Vintage soundclick claims that it's a Mac8 so take that into account.

You can hear a difference but it's difficult to really base your purchasing on recordings. Who knows how much production has gone on with those recordings and what type of mic and so forth. I think the only way to go about it is to buy them both and keep the one that floats your boat and return the one that doesn't. I know, not everyone wants to (or can) shell out $4000 bucks at a time...........I don't think either horn will make you wish you would of bought something else.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you're right about the 4th sound-clip, it is a PBMac8, which was the model before Phil spit up with his partner.
I allready have a Vintage alto with witch I am very pleased with, and I am thinking of replacing my YTS62 as well
with a Vintage tenor.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yes you're right about the 4th sound-clip, it is a PBMac8, which was the model before Phil spit up with his partner.
That is correct. Phil claims that the Vintage is the exact same horn as the MAC 8, and I have no reason to doubt him. Nice horn no matter what you call it.... (Note that this tenor sounds a bit different with a Warburton neck).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
I'm not positive but isn't the Mac8 a Chinese horn and the Vintage a Taiwanese horn? Not that there is anything wrong with that. It just doesn't make it "exactly" like the Vintage.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember seeing a thread about this, but if I remember well it was another model that was made in china.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Mac20 was made in mainland china and the mac8 in Taiwan.
Yes that's right.
By the way, I've listened to your recordings on myspace. Very nice playing indeed, liked your sound as well especially on
"Well You Needn't". What sax and mouthpiece are you using?

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Mark, thanks for the update. Can you please tell us which tracks from your soundClick are played on the Barone?

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
No worries koumou. Everything since that version you linked to is on the Barone except the slow blues track which is my previous horn (Largo).
I've used several different mouthpieces... a LT DG, an NY STM '9' and the Phil Barone which came with the sax.
cheers, Mark.
P.S. I'd be happy to provide a 'classic' comparison if somebody would kindly post me one.
...'bare brass' would be fine :)

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Barone Boogaloo - Kicks Butt. Nice soun; What MP and reed set up are you using with this and what microphone did you use to record ??

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
Hi Evan. After trying several mouthpieces I seem to have a natural tendency towards 'bright'.
As the Jazz was supposedly the darkest in the range I thought I'd give it a try.
I can hear that this one is slightly darker than the Barone NY which came with the horn but there's not much in it so far.
Previous piece was a laser D.G. and the high notes were thin and harsh to my ears.
The reeds are 'Largo' '2' due to the fact that they are cheap....

·
Banned
492 Posts
Alright,... I think I finally found the courage to participate in this thread. I'm hoping these two short clips won't cause anybody to damage their ribs in laughter. Just please be kind. The first clip is of me playing just and exercise thing that I like to do. Got it off the internet. I do it in the circle (4's), so some of the keys I gotta split octaves. So I get a lot of practice doing that without having to think so much. But a few of the keys fall nicely into my comfort range on the horn. I asked my brother to hit the record button on one of those keys,... I think Bb here. Yeah,... Bb, this was the 2 flats leg. So please understand, by this time my fingers were beginning to fall off and I was running out of air. The second clip is a tune a classmate brought to school Friday and said he wanted me to play it with him and some other classmates tomorrow. These guys get together on the weekends away from school. So I'm pretty much playing it from the sheet he gave me, and just getting around to getting it in my bones. This is the first time these guys have asked me to hang out and play with them on the weekends, so I hoping I can clean it up and get more of me in it by tomorrow. I really hope they ask me to hang again after tomorrow.

I originally did the exercise clip for Mr. Barone to hear so he and my Dad could figure out which tenor mouthpiece to include with the Silver Plated Vintage Tenor we just ordered. So I've been stressing all day whether to post it here as well. So now that it's almost 1:00 in the morning and I'm too tired to even care anymore,... I might as well. I'll yank it if it gets way too embarrassing. But if you guys pick up on stuff I need to stop, start or change, please lay it on me,... I still gotta learn stuff too! And you can't learn anything if peeps who know more than you won't pick your stuff apart. Now I know this thread is for folks looking to join the Barone family can come and hear what the horn sounds like, and not a teaching thread,... but I figured it'd be ok to cheat just a little bit. But in the interest of being On Topic, I'm play a Vintage Alto and the Barone NY6M mouthpiece that came with the horn. The camera is a crappy camera that does crappy sound, so the audio might not be the best to judge the sound of a Phil Barone horn,... the other clips in here do a way better job of that.

Well here goes,... thanks everyone!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Hey man, you don't have anything to apologise for. Nice playing. But - how the hell do you do that playing on your side!? That's totally killin'!! :mrgreen:

I do have a question - what mpc did you order to go with your tenor?

Also, you asked for some suggestions about your playing so here's just an observation. Your attacks are too hard. You can soften them up with an exercise that you have to be patient with but will really pay off:
- start a tone on your sax softly
- as you continue blowing into your horn gently and slowly bring your tongue towards the reed until you barely touch the reed
- - you should now have a slightly muted sound
- slowly reverse the process

Over time, be able to do this faster until you can do this in eighth notes. Then use this articulation at the beginning of phrases.

For example let's say you have a figure of 5 eighth notes. First 1/8 note is on the down beat, tongued. Next 1/8 note is on the upbeat, tongued and it is tied to the 1/8 downbeat of beat 3 and the 1/8 upbeat of 3. The next 1/8 is the downbeat on 4 which is tongued. You would want to tongue downbeat 1 and upbeat of 1 with this soft "thoo" tongue, not a hard "two" sounding tongue like you are doing. Generally, you never want to "honk" your attacks.

You sound like you've got a lot of potential. Keep at it. :thumbrig:

p.s. I'm getting older and lazier and I still want to know how you can play on your side. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts