Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

As a handful of some SOTW members have found out lately, I'm in the market for a new mouthpiece, and have been shopping around to get an idea of what's out there. I currently play on a modern Otto Link Tone Edge HR 6, and it's not as bright as I'd like- I play it through a Selmer Reference 54 tenor. For a brief time, I tried playing through a Berg Larsen 105/3M, and while that sound is closer to what I'd like than the Otto Link, it's still not bright enough.

The sound I'm looking for: something a bit brighter than that Berg Larsen, but not as bright as a Dukoff D7 (I used to own one several years ago and it was, shall we say, wild). I really like George Coleman's sound on his album Amsterdam After Dark, specifically on the song "Autumn in New York." I've tried several exercises Phil Barone has suggested for improving one's tone, and while I've noticed a considerable change, my sound is still not where I'd like it to be.

OK, enough of my preamble ramble- you get the picture: I'd like something bright, but not as bright as a Dukoff D chamber.

I have three "contestants" that I'm considering, each of them metal:

Phil Barone Hollywood 8, delivered at $299.
Consider it in excellent condition: http://www.saxquest.com/product/view/custom-brass-barone-hollywood-8-tenor-sax-mouthpiece-P7971

Phil Barone New York 7*, delivered at $282.
Again, used, but in excellent condition. The Phil Barone website says that of "all the dark models, this one is the brightest." I tried youtubing/looking up recordings of people playing on it, but I couldn't find much to work with- I'm not sure just how bright it'd be. Looking at pictures, though, I could see a nice baffle, though not as high as a Dukoff or Guardala.

Otto Link Late Florida/Early Babbitt Transitional STM 4*, delivered at $285.
The silver finish has mostly worn off (not that I care much) but there is a small/minute chip on the rail near the mouthpiece tip; the owner told me that it shouldn't affect the sound. Some people on the Forums have said that the Early Babbitts were brighter than the modern Otto Links (which I've tried, and were much too dark for my taste). The only thing I worry about is the opening: is a 4* going to be a big change from playing mouthpieces with 6/7* openings?

Any thoughts/comments? Thank you in advance for any input- I deeply appreciate all the help and patience users here have given me!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,254 Posts
If the Hollywood was really an 8, I'd suggest that. At .115, tho', it might be making a larger jump than you might find comfortable.

I used to own some of each of Phil's Link-inspired mouthpieces, and of those (Jazz, Hollywood, New York), would suggest the Hollywood for what you describe. The NY is not so overly bright, I just prefer the character of the Hollywood.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Since you liked the Berg you might also consider a Berg 0 chamber. They are still warm and full sounding and are
on the brighter side when pushed with lots of power. However not as edgy and paint peeling like a Dukoff.
I happen to have an excellent 105-0 berg for sale by the way :mrgreen:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the Hollywood was really an 8, I'd suggest that. At .115, tho', it might be making a larger jump than you might find comfortable.

I used to own some of each of Phil's Link-inspired mouthpieces, and of those (Jazz, Hollywood, New York), would suggest the Hollywood for what you describe. The NY is not so overly bright, I just prefer the character of the Hollywood.
You know, there's a guy on this forum who has a Phil Barone Hollywood 7* for sale- at least, that's what his signature said, as of a week or two ago. There's no post indicating he sold it; naturally, I decided to contact him several times. After a few times, though, I've gotten no response. It's a shame, I guess..

·
33,254 Posts
You know, there's a guy on this forum who has a Phil Barone Hollywood 7* for sale- at least, that's what his signature said, as of a week or two ago. There's no post indicating he sold it; naturally, I decided to contact him several times. After a few times, though, I've gotten no response. It's a shame, I guess..
Hang on to your money until you see what you actually want/need. Give it some time. Some people don't actually make SotW part of their life, and may only visit every week or so. <gasp>

G'luck with your quest.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hang on to your money until you see what you actually want/need. Give it some time. Some people don't actually make SotW part of their life, and may only visit every week or so. <gasp>

G'luck with your quest.
lol thanks, I guess I'll just wait until one pops up.

I'm still open to hear others' opinions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Since you liked the Berg you might also consider a Berg 0 chamber. They are still warm and full sounding and are
on the brighter side when pushed with lots of power. However not as edgy and paint peeling like a Dukoff.
I happen to have an excellent 105-0 berg for sale by the way :mrgreen:
I'd venture so say most Berg's are bright no matter what the chamber says. I feel like the Chamber designation is more how much edge is brought out.

My favorite is the "2" chamber. Lots of color and just the right amount of sizzle. Bright but round with some edge. You just need to find one in the right size that plays. You might like the "1" Chambers. I've played a few "0"'s that were pretty good but they were venturing into Guardala bright territory without the added benefit of the free blowing feeling.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
For what you want (and BTW, don't apologize for your long intro, detailed info is rare and welcomed), I would go with the Hollywood. I would personally pick the NY but I think the Hollywood is more to your liking.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what you want (and BTW, don't apologize for your long intro, detailed info is rare and welcomed), I would go with the Hollywood. I would personally pick the NY but I think the Hollywood is more to your liking.
Thanks for your response. How would you describe the differences between the two? Would you suggest the Hollywood because the NY is closer to a Dukoff than I'd like?

(Oh, and I think I could cross the Otto Link off the list)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Have you checked out Steve Neff's website? He has good recordings of himself on many of Phil Barone's pieces. He sounds great on all, but you can tell the differences.

Sent from my thumbs

·
27,650 Posts
Thanks for your response. How would you describe the differences between the two? Would you suggest the Hollywood because the NY is closer to a Dukoff than I'd like?

(Oh, and I think I could cross the Otto Link off the list)
I've played both and the NY is a bit darker, more traditional sounding, where the Hollywood is a bit brighter.

I don't want to compare them to a Dukoff so I can't comment on that.

The suggestion to listen to Steve Neff's recordings is a good one, however, harrumph, he's playing much more aggressively and modern on his NY clip than on the Hollywood, which he's playing a bit mellower. And since my impressions of playing these two are almost the exact opposite of those sound bites, I would suggest that the results these examples are a little skewed. To be as accurate as possible, the player would need to play exactly the same music in the same way with the same attitude o both mpcs. But boy, are the clips on that page fun to listen to.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I am pretty sure the hollywood is brighter than the New York. Keep in mind there was a "new york" model and now there is a "super new york" model. The hollywood should be brighter than both new york models.

I have noticed as well that sound clips for the Barone mouthpiece are pretty limited especially compared to the number of people I imagine playing on them. I humbly present audio recordings of myself playing on the hollywood 7*. All but one recording from this sound cloud site are on the Barone Hollywood mouthpiece. (Courage)

http://www.soundcloud.com/andreacevedomusic

I personally really love the hollywood mouthpiece and speak highly of it on this forum and when people often ask me about it after hearing me play.

good luck!

·
27,650 Posts
I am pretty sure the hollywood is brighter than the New York.
Yes it is. But not on Steve Neff's site, that's what I wanted to caution the OP about.

BTW, nice playing, man.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hello everyone,

As a handful of some SOTW members have found out lately, I'm in the market for a new mouthpiece, and have been shopping around to get an idea of what's out there. I currently play on a modern Otto Link Tone Edge HR 6, and it's not as bright as I'd like- I play it through a Selmer Reference 54 tenor. For a brief time, I tried playing through a Berg Larsen 105/3M, and while that sound is closer to what I'd like than the Otto Link, it's still not bright enough.

The sound I'm looking for: something a bit brighter than that Berg Larsen, but not as bright as a Dukoff D7 (I used to own one several years ago and it was, shall we say, wild). I really like George Coleman's sound on his album Amsterdam After Dark, specifically on the song "Autumn in New York." I've tried several exercises Phil Barone has suggested for improving one's tone, and while I've noticed a considerable change, my sound is still not where I'd like it to be.

OK, enough of my preamble ramble- you get the picture: I'd like something bright, but not as bright as a Dukoff D chamber.

I have three "contestants" that I'm considering, each of them metal:

Phil Barone Hollywood 8, delivered at $299.
Consider it in excellent condition: http://www.saxquest.com/product/view/custom-brass-barone-hollywood-8-tenor-sax-mouthpiece-P7971

Phil Barone New York 7*, delivered at $282.
Again, used, but in excellent condition. The Phil Barone website says that of "all the dark models, this one is the brightest." I tried youtubing/looking up recordings of people playing on it, but I couldn't find much to work with- I'm not sure just how bright it'd be. Looking at pictures, though, I could see a nice baffle, though not as high as a Dukoff or Guardala.

Otto Link Late Florida/Early Babbitt Transitional STM 4*, delivered at $285.
The silver finish has mostly worn off (not that I care much) but there is a small/minute chip on the rail near the mouthpiece tip; the owner told me that it shouldn't affect the sound. Some people on the Forums have said that the Early Babbitts were brighter than the modern Otto Links (which I've tried, and were much too dark for my taste). The only thing I worry about is the opening: is a 4* going to be a big change from playing mouthpieces with 6/7* openings?

Any thoughts/comments? Thank you in advance for any input- I deeply appreciate all the help and patience users here have given me!
Hi.

There is or was a Dukoff M that was much better sounding ( not as bright ) than the D to my ear's.

Mr Colman plays a STM 7* with a 4 reed... but you won't get that kind of sound with any Dukoff of Berg.

If you want a link sound with a bit of push to it ... take a good look at the Jody H.R. it truly is a free blowing fabulous piece at any price point.
If you start there and wait to blow lots of cash on a mouthpiece you actually have in your hand ...and you know you have got to own it . You probably won't find anything that much better.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am pretty sure the hollywood is brighter than the New York. Keep in mind there was a "new york" model and now there is a "super new york" model. The hollywood should be brighter than both new york models.

I have noticed as well that sound clips for the Barone mouthpiece are pretty limited especially compared to the number of people I imagine playing on them. I humbly present audio recordings of myself playing on the hollywood 7*. All but one recording from this sound cloud site are on the Barone Hollywood mouthpiece. (Courage)

I personally really love the hollywood mouthpiece and speak highly of it on this forum and when people often ask me about it after hearing me play.

good luck!
Smokin' man!

And Gary, I'm sure you are correct. I'm just a hobbyist who used Steve's website to make some decisions about a mouthpiece purchase a while back.
Phil himself told me that results vary from person to person on any particular mouthpiece, which on retrospect was a very obvious and important statement to make to a overeager player getting back into a old childhood hobby. Anyway, as you said, the clips are fun to listen to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

good luck!
Thanks for the link, Andre. Those are some nice chops.

Also, I'm glad I asked people here about the mouthpieces- I was under the impression the New York was much brighter, just from the content on Phil Barone's website. Perhaps I was mistaken to assume that "Hollywood" fell under the "dark mouthpieces" category. It's weird, though, considering the New York has a shorter chamber and a noticeable baffle...

·
33,254 Posts
The New York that I owned was brighter than my Hollywood in my experience. That said, unless you have them side by side, you'll never know. Neither is Dukoff bright/trashy.

·
27,650 Posts
The New York that I owned was brighter than my Hollywood in my experience.
Interesting because my experience was different. As an aside, in the past when I've play-tested Barones, I did not find them to be consistent, so maybe that was a factor that, for me, the New York was darker. Maybe something in the facing. Anyway, just goes to show how important it is to try before you buy, or at least order from a source with a flexible return policy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blah, the NY is sold.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait for a Phil Barone Hollywood to enter the market. If anyone knows someone who wants to sell their mpc... let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts