Sax on the Web Forum banner

Phil Barone Hollywood Soprano

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Thomas 
#1 ·
I've been looking into purchasing a new soprano piece and I was wondering if anybody has played the Phil Barone Hollywood metal piece. I also wanted to know if anybody knew how it compared in sound quality or volume compared to the hard rubber piece he makes. Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Phil is a member here. I'm sure if you do a search you will get the information you are looking for. Or you could ask Phil himself.

Welcome to SOTW

#4 ·
I had a Hollywood sop in silver - great mouthpiece. I still have my Barone HR Vintage .068. They are a great value.

#5 ·
I have a Hollywood sop. It is a nice piece for most playing but I can't get mine to get real raucous. that's possibly because it's a somewhat small tip opening for me at a 7. I keep meaning to ask Phil to open it up for me but since I don't use it regularly I forget until I take it out the next time. Good piece though-I'd recommend it for an experienced sop player. I use an RPC .090 as my regular piece--it's a beauty but not for the timid.

#6 ·
Thomas said:
I have a Hollywood sop. It is a nice piece for most playing but I can't get mine to get real raucous. that's possibly because it's a somewhat small tip opening for me at a 7. I keep meaning to ask Phil to open it up for me but since I don't use it regularly I forget until I take it out the next time. Good piece though-I'd recommend it for an experienced sop player. I use an RPC .090 as my regular piece--it's a beauty but not for the timid.
It wasn't meant to be raucous. It has a large chamber and opening it would make it even darker. I never heard of such an open soprano piece before, the .090 piece. That sounds way too open to me. Phil

#7 ·
Phil Barone said:
It wasn't meant to be raucous. It has a large chamber and opening it would make it even darker. I never heard of such an open soprano piece before, the .090 piece. That sounds way too open to me. Phil
Phil,

Raucous is probably the wrong word choice. The only thing I find less than satisfying with my Hollywood sop, and it's personal, not a failing in the piece, is that it's just a small tip opening for my preference. .090 is not too open a sop piece. I think that many of the problems that less experienced or players who only play soprano occassionally have are related to tip openings that are too small and using reeds that are too soft. Why my .090 is a child's piece compared to Lieb's .105.
Seems to me that most players blow the sop like it's gonna break, of course I think many play tenor that way too. You know one has to get a good controlled, full air stream from the gut....that goes for the sop too, maybe even moreso.
Next time I'm in NYC I'll give you a call, I'd love to have the Hollywood opened up, but I wouldn't send it to anyone else since you know the piece best as it's creator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.