Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been visiting this site for a long time, but just decided to join.

Anyway, I am primarily an alto player, but need to get a tenor for a cruise ship gig I have starting in the fall. I am a bit low on cash, so my limit is pretty much $1500.

I have read many reviews on each of the saxophones in question, but I'd like to get some more direct feedback from those that have tried both Phil Barone and YTS-475 saxophones.

Cost is not really a factor as both horns would come out costing about the same. The 475 would be $1000 for the sax + $150 for an otto link + $200 or so for a case. The Phil Barone Classic would be $1500 for the sax, PB vintage rubber mpc and case.

I've played a yamaha alto all my life, so I know it's a brand I can count on. I'm not sure I can trust a Taiwanese brand, just because of their bad rep. Sound is very important to me, but durability is just as important as I'll be doing a lot of traveling with whichever horn I buy.

I can't do a side-by-side comparison, so I'd like to ask those that have to chime in. Also, people who have owned a PB horn for a couple years or more, please chime in on its durability.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Hi all,

I've been visiting this site for a long time, but just decided to join.

Anyway, I am primarily an alto player, but need to get a tenor for a cruise ship gig I have starting in the fall. I am a bit low on cash, so my limit is pretty much $1500.

I have read many reviews on each of the saxophones in question, but I'd like to get some more direct feedback from those that have tried both Phil Barone and YTS-475 saxophones.

Cost is not really a factor as both horns would come out costing about the same. The 475 would be $1000 for the sax + $150 for an otto link + $200 or so for a case. The Phil Barone Classic would be $1500 for the sax, PB vintage rubber mpc and case.

I've played a yamaha alto all my life, so I know it's a brand I can count on. I'm not sure I can trust a Taiwanese brand, just because of their bad rep. Sound is very important to me, but durability is just as important as I'll be doing a lot of traveling with whichever horn I buy.

I can't do a side-by-side comparison, so I'd like to ask those that have to chime in. Also, people who have owned a PB horn for a couple years or more, please chime in on its durability.

Thanks!
I have a PB Classic tenor that sounds great. I haven't had it for years not even a year. It took about three trips to the tech in 4 months to get it broken in properly. After the last visit everything seems to be settled in nice and it is holding adjustment fine. I think with any new horn that hasn't been played a lot in a shop will need some break in time. I have never been a big fan of Yamaha horns. They feel nice to play but they just don't do it for me sound wise. The Barone has more going on in the sound than any of the yamahas I have tried. The Barone classic is very much like a selmer with a focused sound and fat core.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I played a Yamaha YTS-62 for over 20 years and I still have it as a back up horn. Yamaha make fine saxophones and you ought to be happy to own one. Having said that I was in a position to take a chance on a brand new PB Classic tenor. Since it arrived the Yamaha has not been out of its case. I now play the Classic on every gig with a PB Hollywood 7* that's getting better as I get used to it. I was so impressed with the build quality that I bought a Vintage alto as well with confidence. It's a beauty and encourages me to play more alto again after a 15 year layoff.

Buy what you want to buy, but don't be worried about the quality of a Taiwanese Barone.

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
I played a Yamaha YTS-62 for over 20 years and I still have it as a back up horn. Yamaha make fine saxophones and you ought to be happy to own one. Having said that I was in a position to take a chance on a brand new PB Classic tenor. Since it arrived the Yamaha has not been out of its case. I now play the Classic on every gig with a PB Hollywood 7* that's getting better as I get used to it. I was so impressed with the build quality that I bought a Vintage alto as well with confidence. It's a beauty and encourages me to play more alto again after a 15 year layoff.

Buy what you want to buy, but don't be worried about the quality of a Taiwanese Barone.
Yep

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
There are lots of Barone devotees here. Eithernhorn is going to be a stepping stone to where you will ultimately wind up...regardless of how good they are. For that reason alone I would be inclined toward a used 62. Especially so already owning a Yamahanalto that you like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
There are lots of Barone devotees here. Eithernhorn is going to be a stepping stone to where you will ultimately wind up...regardless of how good they are. For that reason alone I would be inclined toward a used 62. Especially so already owning a Yamahanalto that you like.
Why would they be a stepping stone?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Why would they be a stepping stone?
I too am curious. Since I started playing, the majority of my saxes were Y_S23 models. For my first high-end horn, I didn't go to the 62 as your predictions indicate I should have done.

I too recommend the Barone, although I personally use the Vintage model. Contect Phil and if you can, give both a try.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

Another thing I've considered is resale value. Now, maybe if I'm unhappy with the Barone, I could sell it for $1000 or so at a small loss. If I'm unhappy with the Yamaha, I could probably sell it for $1200 and make money (if I were a dishonest person).

The big thing is that the horn needs to stay in adjustment and play well as I won't have access to a repair guy for 6 months (6 month ship contract).

I've scheduled an appointment to try out some Barone horns, so I'll see how it goes. I'm sure they're going to sound great. I'm still a little skeptical about durability, etc.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Another thing I've considered is resale value. Now, maybe if I'm unhappy with the Barone, I could sell it for $1000 or so at a small loss. If I'm unhappy with the Yamaha, I could probably sell it for $1200 and make money (if I were a dishonest person)

The big thing is that the horn needs to stay in adjustment and play well as I won't have access to a repair guy for 6 months (6 month ship contract).

I've scheduled an appointment to try out some Barone horns, so I'll see how it goes. I'm sure they're going to sound great. I'm still a little skeptical about durability, etc.
If you're unhappy with a Barone, you can return it for a refund.

Mine has. Played out of the box too, no tech needed.

Good luck! Let us know how they are.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
More players switch from Yamaha's to Barone's than any other horn. Don't know why that's true but it is. A lot of them complain that they lack color or complexity in the sound and I'd have to agree. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Either horn will do what you need it to. The Yamaha will be easier to sell when your financial situation and psyche convince you that it's time to 'upgrade'.

But again, their is nothing wrong with a Barone horn from a musical, practical standpoint. You're just going to take a bath when you go to sell it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You will take a BEATING on resale of any brand new horn! I tried to unload my minty Selmer Ref 36 for a little over half of what they cost new, and no takers....

I bought my Barone PB MAC 8 (now "Vintage") new anyway since I could return it if I didn't like the sound, and if I liked it, a re-sale hit down the road would be dwarfed by how much cash over the years I'd make with it. I'm probably at around $8k in earnings with mine to date, and with my new Warburton neck, I like it even more. I will be off gigging with it tonite...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts