Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The obvious cure for my post-gig foot pain is to be less of a saxophonist. Currently I run about 6'0" and 230, roughly 50 pounds over ideal. My wife has been tricking me into losing some weight lately by cooking healthier, but I'm still over.

Anyway, the point of this thread starter ...... a four hour gig dancing around onstage leaves my dogs barking. Anybody try a floor cushion like this:

http://www.biglots.com/search/product/3007

It's one more thing to haul around and manage, but it may be worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yes,

One of the things I do at my day job, in addition to evaluations of worker exposure, is ergonomics. And I prescribe pads just like this one for all work stations where employees have to stand for long periods of time.

My data shows a marked reduction in the kinds of pains you are experiencing when these pads are used. They are definitely worth it for most folks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,006 Posts
after a 4 hour gig you want to sleep on the floor? :bluewink: :twisted:

·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, Enviroguy. I'll give it a shot and report back. Milandro, after a 4 hour gig mostly what I want is for an army of roadies to show up and load the PA :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/wave_hybrid/82639

A good pair of shoes helps a lot. Also, kind of counterintuitive, but try to walk about 20-40 minutes a day at a good pace... the more hills, the better. An incline on a treadmill works great. For the first week or so it really sucks, but after that, your feet toughen up and they hurt much less in general. After gigs included. This has been the single most helpful thing for me. Of course, if you have an injury, as opposed to just sore feet, you need to see a doctor. Plantar fasciitis is no joke...

·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My "gig" shoes are pretty comfortable. They even have some sort of high-tech, space-age jelly squishing around in the sole. I can tell it is high-tech, space-age jelly because it is blue.

Walking is a good idea generally, but I lack the patience for it and when I am tired of walking I loathe the idea of not being where I started and having to walk all the way back. I'll have to think about the treadmill idea. For general exercise purposes I find bicycling much more suitable. The scenery changes fast enough that I don't get bored with it as easily.

I was able to pick up a "Chef's Mat" yesterday. I even found one that didn't have a cheesy cafe inspired print on it. I got it home and one of the cats decided it was a good thing to lay on. I take this as a good sign. Next testing opportunity at a gig is 5/19.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts