Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a phaser pedal or an effects pedal that includes phaser? Since my DigiTech Vocal 300 is just about completely crapped out I have been looking for a replacement and haven't found something yet. The Vocal 300 had the expression pedal which was very useful to me with a few of the effects as well, including phasing and it is looking like I'm heading towards putting a pedal board together to get what I used to have with the 300.

Most of the pedals that I have looked at, while they have Chorus and Flanger, don't have Phaser.

Any suggestions for me to look at, pedal-wise? Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,078 Posts
Hey Ralph! I'm a big fan of modulation pedals like phasers, and I agree that the MXR Phase 90 is a great way to go. It's kind of "the" classic phaser pedal and the one that made that sound famous. MXR still makes very solid, reliable, great-sounding gear, I use a ton of their stuff.

Keeley is also making some great pedals these days, and I'd recommend trying out their Bubble Tron if you get a chance. It's a dynamic flanger and phaser that would probably work really well with a saxophone. It'll respond to dynamic playing in cool ways.

Either way, those are pedals that are primarily designed for instrument cable signals instead of microphones, so you'll need something to take care of that if you don't already have it. My favorite is the Radial Voco Loco. It rules.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Guys, and I've looked at that MXR 90. I'm not too up on guitar pedals so is this pedal able to be controlled with an expression pedal? One of the things I really liked about the Vocal 300 was the ability to control effects with the built in expression and this worked well with the phaser effect.

Was just checking out the Bubble Tron pedal and it sounds great. Gonna have a real look at this one. Thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
No, the MXR can not be controlled by an expression pedal.
You have some choices depending what you want.
You can have analog phasers that lots of people think they sound better than the digitals, you decide.
The cheap ones dont offer input for exp pedal. The only one i know that is an exp pedal itself is the Mooer Phaser Player. That one is cheap.
Or you can go to more expensive pedals that offer the exp input like the Pigtronix EP2 Envelope Phaser the Moog MF-103 or the Keeley dark side v2
An other choice is to go digital multy effects. The Line6 m5 is cheap has lots of effects like reverbs distortions chorus phaser etc ,has an exp input and it is cheap.
Or go to much more expensive better sounding digital like the Strymon Mobius, or Eventide H9
Choices choices.

·
3,004 Posts
Thank Guys, and I've looked at that MXR 90. I'm not too up on guitar pedals so is this pedal able to be controlled with an expression pedal? One of the things I really liked about the Vocal 300 was the ability to control effects with the built in expression and this worked well with the phaser effect.

Was just checking out the Bubble Tron pedal and it sounds great. Gonna have a real look at this one. Thanks
Check out http://www.horn-fx.com for lots of good info, should tell you everything you need to know

·
2,078 Posts
Check out http://www.horn-fx.com for lots of good info, should tell you everything you need to know
That's a great site, and Aaron and Douglas are great dudes!

Llareggub, I was gonna mention the Pigtronix Envelope Phaser too... that's an awesome pedal and sounds great with horns. It's out of production but you can get one used for around $150, I think, I'm gonna end up picking one up one of these days, I'm sure.

The Mooer pedals are really great for the money, too. Not quite as rugged and reliable as the pedals they clone, I'm pretty sure, but they sound surprisingly good for how affordable they are. Their phaser will probably be a great way to get the MXR Phase-90 sound for even less money, easy for a try-out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts