Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

So i've been experiencing some strange "undertones" (or I guess that's what you would call them) on my Alto. I recently picked up a chu berry from 26, and I absolutely love it. I'm a tenor player mainly, but I've been working out my alto intonation, long tones, overtones, etc... I've been noticing that when I hit it hard in upper register, around high B, C and up to about E, I occasionally get this tone that is produced, that is an octave lower than the pitch I'm playing. Its a strange sensation, and it seems like my head is vibrating in the upper register. I'm wondering if any one has every experienced this. I actually sort of like it, it adds a different dimension to the tone. I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the micro tuner. Any thoughts??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
290 Posts
I don't know how it is happening, but I've experienced this with my soprano (semi-curved Rampone and Cazzani). When I play low B-flat, I can hear a B-flat one octave below it. I can't control it yet and it only occurs at the end of my practice when I return to long tones in the low range (i.e., my embouchure is fully warmed up). It will be very cool, if I can harness these subharmonics, because it will extend the range of my soprano down into the tenor range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know how it is happening, but I've experienced this with my soprano (semi-curved Rampone and Cazzani). When I play low B-flat, I can hear a B-flat one octave below it. I can't control it yet and it only occurs at the end of my practice when I return to long tones in the low range (i.e., my embouchure is fully warmed up). It will be very cool, if I can harness these subharmonics, because it will extend the range of my soprano down into the tenor range.
Any luck harnessing the subharmonics? I'm able to produce it on low Bb and B on my alto with some control

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Any luck harnessing the subharmonics? I'm able to produce it on low Bb and B on my alto with some control
It would be great if you could post a recording as this sounds interesting. Alto playing baritone notes.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
Migh this be Tartini tones?

You really think OP is subconsciously singing a P5 above the higher register (fingered B-palm E) on their new alto that they don't do when they regularly play tenor or other altos?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You really think OP is subconsciously singing a P5 above the higher register (fingered B-palm E) on their new alto that they don't do when they regularly play tenor or other altos?
No. I was just observing that this is a legit way of generating a tone lower than the base note of the instrument.

But there are other ways of generating a 5th, it being an overtone, maybe. Or maybe they are humming to themselves? I don't know. Something for the OP to consider, is all.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,444 Posts
No. I was just observing that this is a legit way of generating a tone lower than the base note of the instrument.

But there are other ways of generating a 5th, it being an overtone, maybe. Or maybe they are humming to themselves? I don't know. Something for the OP to consider, is all.
i hope since it was six years ago and OP double posted their question that they solved the problem and forgot to update the general population (on either thread).

Given the physical and mental gymnastics necessary to produce Tartini tones on sax I highly doubt the OP, already a tenor player, was accidentally audibly humming a perfect fifth above the desired (fingered) tone on their new alto. 🤷‍♂️

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
290 Posts
They are spotty and too hard to control. I can only play them on my R&C half-curved and not consistently. It's cool when it happens. Good luck developing the technique!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts