Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I am thinking of picking up an audio technica AT350 clip on mic and I amwondering what is recommended for a portable phantom power box to use with it....

thanks,

ving

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Most mixers come with phantom power standard, so no need to buy extra gear. This mic also comes with a belt pack that can be powered with a 9v battery. (I'm assuming that you mean the AT 35).

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You can also pick up an ART tube pre for less than $100.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, no I think the AT 35 is mini one--the 350 is the one I was thinking about, its a condensor; but so is the AT-35cw right? Anyhow, I didn't think thiscame with a power option, but it does say it can run on batteries on the spec sheet so I will have to check on that. I just wasn't sure if it was cool to assume that most boards would have channel assignable phantom power or not, an issue when the other mics on stage are dynamic mics not condensors, correct?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
BTW, I have one of these (as a backup to my airline AMT). When I was playing on it as my main mic I had a soundman who talked me into getting the Shure LX(?). It was like a 600 mic. (The Audio Technica was around 200 for the whole unit, I think). Anyway, the Audio Technica blew that Shure out of the park. For the money, I don't think you can beat it as a wireless mic. (Unless you go with an AMT) ;).

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
ving said:
Hmm, no I think the AT 35 is mini one--the 350 is the one I was thinking about, its a condensor; but so is the AT-35cw right? Anyhow, I didn't think thiscame with a power option, but it does say it can run on batteries on the spec sheet so I will have to check on that. I just wasn't sure if it was cool to assume that most boards would have channel assignable phantom power or not, an issue when the other mics on stage are dynamic mics not condensors, correct?
Phantom power will not affect dynamic mics adversely.

The problems with phantom power creeps up on ribbon mics. It is dissipated through the ribbon in the form of heat.

Actually, I just looked up the AT 350. It's the same mic capsule as the AT 35. It just does not have the power supply (belt pack) and switch.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What am I missing? The AT350 is around $250 while the AT35 is like $99--they can't be the same then, right? Or am I looking at something different?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok,so maybe I was incorrect--the 350 is listed as including the power module, so thats all I need correct? As you can tell, I have no clue with this stuff....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,407 Posts
FWIW my Peavey XR 600C mixer/amp has phantom power. It's 12+yo, so I imagine phantom power is pretty much standard on most anything except maybe guitar/bass amps.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
ving said:
Ok,so maybe I was incorrect--the 350 is listed as including the power module, so thats all I need correct? As you can tell, I have no clue with this stuff....

Ok, I looked up both the at pro 35 and the atm350.

The atm 350 has SLIGHTLY better specs. I would say this would make a difference if you were strapping it onto a violin, or if you needed deep bass.

They both have the power modules, although they have slightly different specs.

FWIW, I suspect that they are very similar mics, one made with more stringent tolerances. On a sax in a live situation I suspect that they work about the same, IMHO.

I have the Pro 35, and for my money, and the purpose, it works just fine.

As always, YMMV. You pays your money and youse takes your choice;)

Oh, and no need for a phantom power box. It can be powered from most any console, or with a 9v battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts