Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had dream last night of playing a saxophone with a vantablack finish.

(If you want an idea of what that looks like, here is a demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v0_fID_jvA)

So I have a question for the repair techs and relacquer experts:

I was wondering if it were possible to paint a new, unlacquered horn (all parts of it) with a super-black finish? (like the acrylic paint called Black 2.0). Something as matte and light-absorptive as possible.

And what repair tech in NYC or the northeast has the means (and the audacity) to do this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
Everything is possible but it will be very expensive because every part has to be not only dismounted and remounted but also if you want to do the keys and rods, also individually sprayed.

I don’t know how deep your pockets are but in order to get the the effect in the video (by the way there are stills on line too and when you link a video you can do so that it shows in the post ) you will have to shed a substantial amount of cash to paint your already existing saxophone.

Also, you have to realize that whatever paint you spray on a saxophone it will wear out by use and the OH SO BLACK! finish will not stay that way long.

There are saxophones already mat black ( in the picture a Trevor James SR) but nothing anywhere near that kind of finish.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
What an interesting non-colour!

If a sax were painted with this it would be rather strange for a technician to work on it. Uless I was using a leak light, I would have to work by feel. I would not be able to see the black mechanism against the black body background.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
well, saxophones were invented wen electricity was not around and clarinets are even older.

The use of cigaret paper to find leaks is older than electricity

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/LeakyPads.htm

“...There are two standards methods for detecting leaky pads; the leaklight and the feeler. I use both methods, as they each have their pros and cons - but the big advantage of the feeler method is that you don't need any 'kit' other than a cigarette paper...” Stephen Howard

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I have three black lacquer saxophones, and even I would have no interest in something like this. A saxophone that looks as though it's not there? A stealth horn? Why?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts