Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST GOT MY PONZOL NECK FOR MY YTS 82Z LAST WEEK.
Been playing it and my original custom G-1 neck on my Jody Jazz DV-8*. I like them both but they do sound different to me.
the G-1 custom neck plays easily, has a sweet core tone, very responsive, great altissimo , good edge, bright but deep tone.what i mean by bright is the highest harmonics in the tone are very audible, especially above the staff. this creates nice cut for rock or fusion or outdoor events.

I was looking for something to darken the tone just a bit without changing mouthpieces.I have found that in this ponzol.it has a darker tonal core without losing clarity or power. it is just as free blowing as the original G -1

the ponzol has a tone that seems to lessen the very highest harmonics and emphasize the mid and lows creating a deeper tonal core that is great for jazz or classical.it doesn't have the highest harmonics to cut but it does not lose any power. in fact i can really push the ponzol and it doesn't seem as if it has a limit on this horn.
although the altissimo is good on the G-1 it is better on the ponzol. it is easier to play and has a richer tone. fork G to high C just pop out with no change from my regular emboucher, sounds like a nice alto up there.the ponzol also helped the inherent intonation problems with B2, C#2, and B3.( for c#2 i usually just use side c key to vent, but don't have to with the ponzol).
Needless to say I love the ponzol but won't get rid of the G-1.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Have you tried a 875 EX before you bought the Z and the Ponzol neck?
If so, how do they compare?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did try the 875 several years ago before buying the Z. i know the 875 has a darker tonal core itself.very sweet.

The Z matched the keywork and intonation of my then YAS-62 ( i'm a doubler) and since it was designed after the mark VI, my main horn for 20 years, I went that way.the two horns are based on a slightly different scale.

the other thing the Z has that the 875 does not is the adjustment screws on almost all keys. any small leaks that develop from cork or felt compression are easily fixable without having to drive 1 hour each way to a good tech.

I like the ponzol neck for the times i need the deeper core tone, but i will also use the G-1 when I have a rock,or contemporary jazz gig or just a really loud guitar player.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a more specific answer is i think the Z with the GP ponzol neck sounded a lot like the 875 -EX with its original neck, with the added advantage of the adjustment screws on the 82Z and the ability to change its sound to a more contemporary one with a simple neck change.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Got it. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Saxxsymbol,

I thought you would like the Ponzol on the Z. I love mine. If you ever have the chance, you might try one of Peter's mouthpieces with his neck. I think, from an engineering and tonal aspect, the two truly complement each other.

Jazzhart :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
a follow up on the ponzol on my Z tenor. I love it. it changes the core sound to a deeper, more vintage one. really works for jazz and concert music. at the first summer band rehearsal monday night, an alto player I know said that the tenor had the best sax sound she'd ever heard. she was a mark VI player by the way. the funny thing is , tone was always my
"weakest link". when i found the Z tenor I knew it was right, but needed more, the jody jazz was a big improvement in sound( couldn't believe it was me the first time i played against a wall) and now the ponzol neck. I have found my voice!!!! and find myself for the first, time wanting to practice all the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
saxxsymbol said:
a follow up on the ponzol on my Z tenor. I love it. it changes the core sound to a deeper, more vintage one. really works for jazz and concert music. at the first summer band rehearsal monday night, an alto player I know said that the tenor had the best sax sound she'd ever heard. she was a mark VI player by the way. the funny thing is , tone was always my
"weakest link". when i found the Z tenor I knew it was right, but need more, the jody jazz was a big improvement in sound( couldn't believe it was me the first time i played against a wall) and now the ponzol neck. I have found my voice!!!! and find myself for the first, time wanting to practice all the time.
To paraphrase that famous and deeply philosophical TV show:D , The A-Team: Don't you love it when a plan comes together!:headbang:

·
Registered
39 Posts
i don't really know anyhting about necks, but i have a question. Would one of those Ponzol necks make a meyer 6m sound like a s80 C* (dark,warm sound)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you are playing a yamaha it should make the sound warmer and actually improve on yamaha's already great intonation.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
never played on one but it will darken your current setup and give a fatter sound throughout the range. almost vintage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts