Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Thanks for that JJ - couldn't think of a better sound to start the day with. It has the core sound of a soprano, but that depth.... Hmmmm...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
Just found this video with Peter Jessen testing his new hand build G-Soprano. I believe the first versions only the body was hand build, but now he also made the rest by hand.
Thanks (mange tak). The body of the first one was made in solid copper.

what mouthpiece is that????
His own. He makes mouthpieces, necks, and saxes (engraves as well). More info here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Very nice.

When I clicked the youtube link and got to the page AND finished listening to it, I saw another linked clip for Rhueben Allen and Kenny G touting their new Kenny G soprano at January's NAMM Show, so I watched that, too. DAVE

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Beautiful instrument!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
wow

its BEAUTIFUL.

i wonder how much it costs

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Randy, you didn't see my interview? I'm *shocked*. It's listed on SOTW and i.K. Gottfried's website.

This is Mr. Jessen's "Mk. II" version that he had mentioned that he was still playing with. I'm very glad it seems to be mostly finished.

If y'all have questions for him, I'll try to check back and forward them his way. Or he might stop by ....

·
4,121 Posts
I'm very glad it seems to be mostly finished.
I received an ecstatic email from Peter today. He received his first order for the mezzo. However, since he still thinks are there are some minor glitches to fix, he is going to build another one for the customer, one of, if not the premier Danish and, in terms of sheer skill level, also international saxophonists.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I received an ecstatic email from Peter today. He received his first order for the mezzo. However, since he still thinks are there are some minor glitches to fix, he is going to build another one for the customer, one of, if not the premier Danish and, in terms of sheer skill level, also international saxophonists.
Possibly for Torben Snekkestad, then. Mr. Jessen mentioned him in the interview.

I'm just hopening for big glossies for the 2009 calendar :).

·
4,121 Posts
Just an update. Benjamin Koppel has take possession of his G Mezzo and is now performing regularly with it. I believe he already made a recording but I don't know when it will be released.

Joe Lovano has also placed an order. David Liebman tried it out and was quite enthusiastic.

You can find recent pics of Koppel's G Mezzo here. The neck is not the final one because Benjamin was still undecided about some final details. Click on the slide show for the making of the bell piece. This instrument really is handmade from A-Z.

·
4,121 Posts
Here is a link to "Triple Concert for Saxophone, Cello, and Harp" written by Anders Koppel. Benjamin Koppel plays Peter Jessen's G mezzo soprano. It from the Danish Radio's web-site and I am not sure how long the link will remain active, so best to take a listen sooner rather than later if this has your interest.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Actually I'm listening to this triple-concerto, and it's a great piece with a great sounding soprano! Music between French Orchestral Music and Jazz, reminds me to the Marsalis - Romance CD, but more complex. Absolutly worth a download ! But for me, the sax used here sounds more like a normal soprano, not like the mezzo in G.
I recall that the mezzo is announced on a danish website for 6000€ - great instrument!!!

·
4,121 Posts
I recall that the mezzo is announced on a danish website for 6000€ - great instrument!!!
That has to be some sort of introductory price. I am almost certain that it costs Peter Jessen more than that to make one. Unlike Inderbinen and other horns where retrofitting of existing keywork is possible (and certainly nothing wrong with that), every key, post, rod, in addition to the body of the G mezzo are entirely handmade. Hopefully this would change if there is sufficient demand to allow for production in larger scale but for now, it really is sheer ingenuity and dexterity along with minimal instrumentation (also handmade by Peter) that transforms sheets and rods of brass into the G mezzo soprano saxophone.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
A cheaper alternative, though in F is the Conn F Mezzo. Incredibly rich tone....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts