Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone listening to this guy? His cd "Invisible" is KILLING! Do yourself a favor and at the very least buy the track "Ornette's Advice" from itunes.

i'm fairly certain he teaches in Reno, Nevada. I'd like a lesson with this guy!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've got "the Loan" by Brad Shepik and the Commuters. Mr. Epstein plays on it and has some very memorable solos.

·
Registered
414 Posts
yeah! he's insane, teaches at UNR (University of Nevada Reno) I've seen him play live a number of times...he builds intensity in a solo like no one else. If you can, check out the song...Womans Dance...though i cant remember what CD its on, its with the faculty group from UNR called The Collective (actually, that might be the name of the group...?)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
I have seen him play here locally a few times. He is an insane player as well as an approachable and humble guy. He would love to know that he is being talked about on SOTW!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to buy his other recordings, i've only got invisible, and the melody to Ornette's Advice is just about Perfect.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Love Peter Epstein! The trio records with Brad Shepik are some of my favorite rrecent recordings. If you want to hear something really freaky, track down some of the CalArts CD's from the early 90's when he was a student there. The tracks with him are rediculous, and his playing was much more "chops oriented" back then.... maybe not as musically mature, but it sure is fun to hear him burn!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Peter is a great player and a nice guy! He teaches at the University of Nevada and taught an old friend of mine (a great saxophonist in his own right, Eric Arellano).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts