Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
christlieb's a monster. one of my favorites.

when i was in 8th grade (1980 or thereabouts), i picked up a used maxell jazz sampler lp, which included a louis bellson big band cut titled 'quiet riots.' p.c. has this absolutely roaring solo on it that i would just listen to in total disbelief over and over.

recently found a copy (recently re-released on cd) of the album 'apogee' that he did with warne marsh (in the late 70s iirc)--it's a very nice pick up if you can find it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Very cool. I had the opportunity to play with Pete about 3 years ago. Amazing player.

The piano player in the first video is Pamala York who is an outstanding player. She currently lives and works here in Houston.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I got turned on to Pete's playing by listening to him solo on a Diane Krall album. Does anyone know which CD's are available that feature Pete's playing? I've got the "Late Night Jazz" CD which is ok but it is mostly featuring Slyde Hyde on trombone and baritone.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
jbtsax said:
I got turned on to Pete's playing by listening to him solo on a Diane Krall album. Does anyone know which CD's are available that feature Pete's playing? I've got the "Late Night Jazz" CD which is ok but it is mostly featuring Slyde Hyde on trombone and baritone.
Slyde plays an awful purty baritone on ballads and a mean bass trumpet on other tunes.

Late Night Jazz doesn't seem to be available. Any place I could pick it up?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete

If Pete lived back east in NYC, he'd probably be much better well known.
But very few in the entire world can keep up with this cat in a straight ahead bag.
And the dude builds championship winning dragster race cars in his spare time!

Pete's website has information about his CDs.
http://www.petechristlieb.com/home.html

All of Pete's CDs are very fantastic and are worthy of study by all jazz saxophonists.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
I'll second (or third or whatever...) the suggestion of *Apogee* as a marvelous Pete Christleb CD (and a marvelous Warne Marsh CD).

However, since no one else has mentioned them, I'll also mention *Conversations With Warne, Vol. 1 & 2* (available at Amazon and others), made up of the Apogee band sans piano. These 2 discs are absolutely essential for fans of Pete and/or Warne.

About 15 years ago I heard Pete at a Minneapolis club, and asked him if Apogee was ever going to appear on CD (I'd already worn out the grooves of my LP...). He replied with a cringe-inducing string of profanities regarding Apogee producers Becker & ***en and Warner Bros. records.

He also said the group had privately recorded some sessions of standards that killed anything on Apogee. Conversations With Warne are those sessions, recorded (with absolute studio-quality sound) by the bassist Jim Hughart.

All the tunes are standards with their heads chopped off (to avoid paying royalties...). The approach is the same as on Apogee, but way less arranged: generally the 2 tenors start together with intertwined improvisations, then spur each other on with killer solos and exchanges, then wrap up the tune with more collective improv.

Good stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts