Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have listened in small doses only to Pete but probably more without realising.

Anyway everything I hear is superb.
I think he says it all in the you tube clip featured on the Jazz musician of the day section here on SOTW.
For the future, here's the link
So where to start, what albums do you recommend?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Apogee.

You get both Warne Marsh AND Pete Christlieb.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I hadn't listened to Pete Christlieb in ages. Just checked out this semi recent youtube video of him playing Dizzy's rhythm changes tune, 'OW!'. He plays a fantastic solo:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I like to listen to Pete Christlieb occasionally. Good stuff, and Apogee is definitely one of my favorites.

My professor for Jazz Improvisation told me a story about him while playing bass for Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band for Johnny Carson. Both Pete Christlieb and Eddie Harris were in the group and had drastically different views on improv. So when Harris went to solo he'd ask my professor to play the "out" notes and make the line interesting while he explored colors, sounds, etc... and when Christlieb went to solo he'd ask my professor to stay within the chord, very simplistic and absolutely no "color notes."

The result was Eddie Harris would go to solo and my professor would switch to a colorful, interesting, and "out there" bass line (the way he likes to play) and then Pete would go up to solo right after Eddie. So my professor immediately switched to this "boring" and "lame" bass line (professor's words, not mine :)) and Doc would yell out "What the *ell are you guys doing?!?!?!?!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Aja. You get Wayne Shorter and Pete. IIRC, Plas Johnson and Tom Scott are on there too. Of course, Wayne only has one solo, Christlieb only has 2 or 3, and Tom and Plas don't have any that I remember.

·
2,325 Posts
I was lucky enough to play a concert with Pete in college, with Bill Holman conducting us, playing Bill's music. It was great. Pete has the most enormous, unique sound, absolutely in-your-face and filled with his personality. And all on an old Berg with a Plasticover 2.5 reed. Just goes to show, whatever works for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008-
2,441 Posts
I like to listen to Pete Christlieb occasionally. Good stuff, and Apogee is definitely one of my favorites.

My professor for Jazz Improvisation told me a story about him while playing bass for Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band for Johnny Carson. Both Pete Christlieb and Eddie Harris were in the group and had drastically different views on improv. So when Harris went to solo he'd ask my professor to play the "out" notes and make the line interesting while he explored colors, sounds, etc... and when Christlieb went to solo he'd ask my professor to stay within the chord, very simplistic and absolutely no "color notes."

The result was Eddie Harris would go to solo and my professor would switch to a colorful, interesting, and "out there" bass line (the way he likes to play) and then Pete would go up to solo right after Eddie. So my professor immediately switched to this "boring" and "lame" bass line (professor's words, not mine :)) and Doc would yell out "What the *ell are you guys doing?!?!?!?!"
Eddie Harris in the tonight show band???????????

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Was just looking at amazon, doesn't seem to be a lot out there on CD at least. I second the motion on Apogee and Conversations with Warne Vol 1+2. Top notch stuff, Marsh and Christlieb very complimentary approaches I think. They're both great at collaboration, so those recordings are a natural. Tenors of the Time I think on Apogee.. OMG!

An old title I remember listening to years back was Playin' It Straight - Jack Sheldon with the "late show all stars".. Tommy Newsome was also on it along with Mundell Lowe and Alan Broadbent. That one is avail on CD...

More recently, on Pete Christlieb Andy Martin quintet Live at Cappozoli's they run down some standards, which of course Christlieb smokes on.

He was also on Kindred Spirits with Gary Unwin and Bill Watrous. I haven't heard the CD, but there's some clips of him on You Tube with that group, including a reading of It's You or No One that's smokin' hot. Watrous seems to really enjoy it when Christlieb starts really digging in on that one...

Steely Dan's FM has a great Christlieb solo, of course Unforgettable.

He is a great ballad player, for sure. It would be great to take a collection of the ballad tracks from his various recordings and make a Peter Christlieb Ballads CD...for me he evokes comparisons with guys like Ammons, Ben Webster, Dexter on those ballads. That's pretty elite company.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
790 Posts
I had the Apogee LP back in the early 80's. Listened to it all the time, then lost it. I was delighted to find a re-release on CD a couple of years ago, especially when I found it had a couple of alternate takes that weren't on the original LP. That's Christlieb at his best. Although the bulk of the album features both Marsh and Christlieb, the solo cut of Christlieb on I'm Old Fashioned is killer.

Randy
www.randyhunterjazz.com
Online Jazz Lessons and Books
New Lesson:
Making Sense of Jazz Improvisation
Lesson Series:
Introduction to the Blues
The Arpeggio Circle
Through the Keys
and more...
Lessons page: www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons.htm
Rhythm Changes Demo:
Rhythm Changes Lesson:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone!

FM was a track that I first heard in the 90's on a local radio station and rang them to find out who the artist was just so I could buy it for the solo!
I bought their greatest hits remastered as it was on there.
So you see he struck me a long time ago but i'd forgotten about that one and don't ever remember seeing sax player credits.
Apogee will be on it's way.

Keep 'em coming!!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1
the solo cut of Christlieb on I'm Old Fashioned is killer
I know what I'm listening to this morning...Apogee is the one produced by Donald ***en and Walter Becker... ***en wrote Rapunzel which is based on an old standard. Great session, it's like they just gathered the guys in the studio and said "ok, just play."

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks LiAm for that video with Conte Candoli, and Carl Fontana. Pete sure plays wonderful on that. Love the way Carl plays.

·
2,874 Posts
Anyone checked out the album The Tenor Trio?

Pete Chritlieb / Ernie Watts / Rickey Woodard

Some good arrangements and solos.
I have that album and it is wonderful to listen to the different styles of solos. They even tell you on the back of the cover who plays when. Monster album.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts