Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not familiar with this player who is apparently into free jazz and klezmer.

"The irrepressible Perry Robinson and his clarinet are in town.

Sunday the 16th, jam session at the Reading Gaol Pub (65th St and 5th Ave NW) from 3:30-7:00. Musicians, bring your axes and join us!"

I presume he is hosting the jam. I'm wondering whether his jam session is going to the exclusive kind or inclusive kind. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be like?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,737 Posts
I have no idea what the jam will be like, but Perry Robinson has been around a looooong time. I'm pretty sure he had an ESP disk back in the 60s and has been fairly low profile but hanging in there nonetheless. They do say "irrepressible" so that might at least be a hint what it will be like.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard 'free jazz' and 'klezmer' in the same sentence. Might be fun...:D

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Perry Robinson is one hell of a great clarinet player who covers a lot of ground. He's been around forever and is very overlooked. I'd see him again if he came to Boston.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
Perry is a total badass. If you have any opportunity to sit in with him you should. I played with him when I lived in Berlin. It was me, Eddy Schuller, Ernst Bier, and Christoph Adams. It was killing.
As for free jazz/klezmer there are many folks doing that. Check out Andy Statman (who is also a great mandolin player), Alex Kontorovich, Freylakh and Paul Brody, to name but a few. There's a lot of this music and it is great to hear.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Chicken 'Lil said:
Perry is a total badass. If you have any opportunity to sit in with him you should. I played with him when I lived in Berlin. It was me, Eddy Schuller, Ernst Bier, and Christoph Adams. It was killing.
As for free jazz/klezmer there are many folks doing that. Check out Andy Statman (who is also a great mandolin player), Alex Kontorovich, Freylakh and Paul Brody, to name but a few. There's a lot of this music and it is great to hear.
Thanks for the tip Cli'l. I'll check these cats out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,208 Posts
Hakukani,
No problem. One guy who I forgot who is also superbadass is Doug Wieselman. Plays with a ton of people and has been on the scene in NYC for a long time. Played a gig with him once and it was great. Check him out with the Millennial Terrestrial Orchestra. http://www.stevenbernstein.net/mtohome/
C'L

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a fun session and very open. It's an annual event as he comes here every year. When he saw me with my clarinet he said "Heeeeeey!" and came over and hugged me, and I never met him before. That was what it was like.

A couple of clarinet players he mentioned were Tony Scott as well as Tony Coe who he reckons is the most underrated clarinet player around.

He's published an autobiography "The Traveller" which sounds like an interesting read.

He also has another couple of gigs here this week.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've got his record, Funk Dumpling, with Henry Grimes, Paul Motian, and Kenny Barron. It's killer.
He's also on Henry Grimes' ESP disk record The Call, Archie Shepp's Mama Too Tight and Charlie Haden's first Liberation Music Orchestra record.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
He did one of the only rock clarinet gigs backing an obscure duo named Bunky + Jake on an LP called L.A.M.F., he sounds great on that one too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts