Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sax heads. Tired of loose neck corks? For Tenors - just cut a groove into the cork down to the metal and fit a silicone rubber (red - not black) O ring 1/2" outside diameter with 1/16" cross section. You'll never have to replace the cork again.

Now if you're tired of replacing pads and want a pad that outlasts all others.
go to jsengineering.net

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,442 Posts
Knowledge is a great gift Jim.

I think I might have to do that. Testing mouthpieces really does a number on corks. Its like putting several months of wear on a cork every month.

Thanks!
Phil

·
2,120 Posts
Great tip, thanks.

Cork, felt, and animal skins: Saxophonists, welcome to the Stone Age.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Does this allow all mpcs to fit on no matter what the inside diameter of their bore? I get that it will take up the slack for a loose mpc better than a shim, but doies it also compress if the bore is too narrow?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I can't find a picture of it on the web any place which is odd but this is basically the way the Scimonetti corkless sax neck works so it's not really a new idea outside of combining it with the cork instead of just using the O-rings which is the way the original Scimonetti setup worked. There are several old SOTW threads on it in the archives.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I'm going to go out and get a couple of those O rings right away because my cork is really compressed and I've been using a shim on it for months. I figured out that this kind of plastic wrapping paper they sell for wrapping presents is perfect when cut into a strip and wrapped around the cork. It's thin, will not fall apart for a long time because it's plastic. It will adhere to the cork and stay there if you wet the underside of it before wrapping it around. And once it has been used it keeps the curled form around the cork so it doesn't fall off. Being shiny plastic, usually coated with colors like red or blue on one side and silver on the other, the mpc slides right onto it very easily without the need for cork grease or anything else. Depending on how much shimming you need you just cut the appropriate length strip and wrap it around as many times as you need. 100 times better than teflon tape or paper or anything else people generally use.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did my first neck recork with the music medic pre-cut cork at the weekend. Took about 15 minutes and my alto now has beautiful new cork. I'm going to order more of their pre-cut corks .... i'm not very handy, but even i can recork a neck with them. I'm done with PTFE tape, paper etc.

·
6,715 Posts
Sax heads. Tired of loose neck corks? For Tenors - just cut a groove into the cork down to the metal and fit a silicone rubber (red - not black) O ring 1/2" outside diameter with 1/16" cross section. You'll never have to replace the cork again.

Good idea.
For extra stability, to accommodate really loose mouthpieces, why not fit two O rings....half an inch apart.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Good idea.
For extra stability, to accommodate really loose mouthpieces, why not fit two O rings....half an inch apart.
Great idea Jim and almost free of charge to try .I said it first. Why doesn`t some bright spark fit the o rings into recess`s machined/moulded in the shank of the mouthpiece and dispense with the cork all together :twisted: . Many plumbing fittings do this and whats a mouthpiece if it aint a plumbing fitting LOL

·
6,715 Posts
G Why doesn`t some bright spark fit the o rings into recess`s machined/moulded in the shank of the mouthpiece and dispense with the cork all together :twisted: . Many plumbing fittings do this and whats a mouthpiece if it aint a plumbing fitting LOL
I seem to remember that someone marketed a similar idea....a series of circular rubber sections of "fir tree" pattern....ie tapering down (with subsequently increasing compliance) towards the tip.
I wonder why it did not catch on as it seems ideal & able to accommodate any diameter of shank.
It could, in my mind, take the form of a series of anchored rings, or a spiral.

Probably some die-hards claimed that it altered the sound. :bluewink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I seem to remember that someone marketed a similar idea....a series of circular rubber sections of "fir tree" pattern....ie tapering down.
I wonder why it did not catch on as it seems ideal & able to accommodate any diameter of shank.
Probably some die-hards claimed that it altered the sound. :bluewink:
Warburton Modular Sax Neck System may be what you were thinking of.

·
6,715 Posts
Warburton Modular Sax Neck System may be what you were thinking of.
Similar, but not quite the same.
The Warburton system is, in effect, an extension of Jim Schmidt's idea....a series of O rings.
Perhaps I dreamed up the idea of a tapered rubber fin in spiral form.......no point in trying to register the idea now that I have exposed it. :)

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Many plumbing fittings do this and whats a mouthpiece if it aint a plumbing fitting LOL
Which makes it very handy to have a lot of mpcs sitting in the drawer. If a water pipe should burst on a Sunday, to avoid the double or triple-time plumbing fees--assuming you can even find a plumber on a Sunday--grab one of them and use it to splice the line. A metal mpc for a copper or iron line and a plastic or HR for a PVC line.

Interestingly, the saxophone mouthpiece is unique among plumping joints which are sexually designated. Whereas almost all joints are either :male: or :female:, and you mate them :love34: when you put them together, the mouthpiece is the only bisexual one there is, since it is :female: at one end and :male: at the other.

You can draw you own conclusions about that.....:twisted:

BTW, did you know that there are only three things you need to know to be a plumber? :dontknow:

• The basement is the room under the house. :doubt:
  • Shlt doesn't flow uphill. :scratch:
  • Payday is on Friday. :cheers: :drunken:

Plumbers are also designated with a sexual term--Dikhead!

• They generally don't know one end from the other
  • track mud all over your house
  • expose lots of butt-crack

maxresdefault.jpg
  • smell of rancid sweat and tobacco
  • have fecal matter under their fingernails from unclogging toilets

CloggedToilet.jpg
  • charge you up the wazoo for simply showing up to give you an outrageous estimate.

You :yikes!:

Plumber :whistle:

You :angry4: :angry9: :banghead::a-run: :innocent02:

·
Registered
37 Posts
my mpiece was loose and i was told heat the cork up slightly with a lighter, worked a treat for me! the cork seems to swell . that was about a year ago and its still a great fit

·
Registered
694 Posts
Maybe get a dozen of these o-rings and replace the cork with o-rings side by side the length of the cork? Glue the 2 end o-rings down and roll them tight against each other, or glue them all down. The o-rings are usually inexpensive at the hardware store.

·
6,715 Posts
my mpiece was loose and i was told heat the cork up slightly with a lighter, worked a treat for me! the cork seems to swell . that was about a year ago and its still a great fit
Yes...works for a while, particularly if you are always using the same mouthpiece....but the cork tends to lose whatever elasticity it had.
The advantage of rubber, is it's elasticity & subsequent recovery to original shape and size.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts