Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I'll be performing on Late Night with Conan O'Brien with singer-songwriter Amos Lee.

Trumpeter Rashawn Ross (Dave Matthews Band) and I will be backing up Amos on a new song.

As I shared with members of my video lesson website, learning this tune--and coming up with the horn parts--brought up lots of things about how I synthesize the bebop and blues language with pop music.

This week's video will walk through that process, specifically using the tune we'll play on Conan as an example...it's in one of my favorite keys: concert A.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Conan rocks! Have fun Bob.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Saw the performance.
I liked it. Steel guitar and horn section in the same band - love it.
Could you hear over the leslie? Looks like it was right on top of you.
Capo on the 7th fret - wow. Like mandolin on the guitar.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The only thing that plays on the video is the commercial. Fortunately, I watched the program last night, and recorded the song on my hard drive. That was one of the best talk show musical guest performances I've seen in a long, long time. Too bad the dude with the guitar hogged the spotlight, :bluewink: I was hoping for a horn section chorus.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Rats, I would have tuned in to Conan for this!

Very nice Bob. Tell Amos it does need more sax though! :bluewink:

·
7,212 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
That's exciting. Did you guys get to hang out in "the green room"? I was hoping for a sax solo. The power of love oh baby.

Here is a link to it: "http://teamcoco.com/content/amos-lee-performs-flower"

·
7,212 Posts
Thanks for the link differencetone, but the video doesn't play for me, just the commercial, oh well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you guys hanging around after the commercial? It does play a 30 sec commercial, but then the video plays.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the link to tomorrow's webinar at 1pm EST (10am Pacific)

If you're on the list, you'll receive a password 10 minutes before the webinar begins. If you're not, sign up here to be included. I'll also send you a free 15 minute video with some of my best advice on practicing improvisation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Clicking on the link in post #7 I get a 17 second commercial and then O'brien introduces the band. Must be an out-of-States phenomenon to only get a commercial!?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, for some reason streaming videos often don't stream outside the US. I've had this problem trying to rent movies on iTunes when not in US, too.

·
7,212 Posts
Yeah, for some reason streaming videos often don't stream outside the US. I've had this problem trying to rent movies on iTunes when not in US, too.
yeah Bob, I wait after the commercial airs, but the video of the show does not appear.

Drats, sorry I missed your performance on Coney.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts