Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guess it's been 2 years since I first tried practicing in the car. It started with my son's Karate Class. The first few years I would simply dose of in the waiting area but after a while he really didn't need me there so I took my soprano. I dropped him of and played in the car. Then the in-laws were visiting, since I like to practice early in the morning, I drove over the a nearby mall and started 'in-law' practice. Now on Saturday and Sunday mornings, I practicing in the car so the family can have at least one morning of quiet. If it's a slow evening, I might even practice later in the car somewhere.

At first is was awkward. I tried practicing in the back seat of the mini-van but my head hit the ceiling. I then tried the passenger side but ended up staying in the drivers seat. I have preset automatic seating so now #1 is for driving and #2 is for practice. I keep headphones and phone charger in the car at all times. I still don't have a music holding system but most of my work is recording/metronome sort. I sometimes have security people drop by but once they realize I'm just putting in time on the horn, they're always pretty cool about the situation. I guess they sometimes find couples 'practicing' but it ain't saxophone. :)

It's really peaceful and helps me get out of the house away for all the distractions of life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Whilst I don't practice in my car, I do use an isolation booth and can share the feelings of peacefulness and escape from everyday minutiae...

One of the best things I did was to work on my tone by removing (as much as I could) the aural component (ear plugs and the like) and focus on my breath and
how a "good tone" actually feels. Forming that particular bond between my tone and my breath made the practice space even more personal...

If you use play alongs, I guess the car stereo would be a great way of getting some time with tunes...

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The car is also excellent for clarinet practice. I've done that at lunch when I felt I didn't have enough practice in for an upcoming gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,120 Posts
Nice! I hope you pull over first...otherwise you have just taken "distracted driving" to new heights...

Of course if the guy behind you is also distracted, (maybe by practicing his accordion) they'll be picking bits of you and that sop off the headrest for weeks...

...but hey - maybe an new instrument will be born from the wreckage...enter the accordiophone

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey Rahsaan Roland Kirk played two and three horns at once... and when I drive I see lots of people "multi-tasking" behind the wheel... So why not practice while driving?
Seriously though... I started out the same way, but it was hockey and baseball practice for my son. Especially hockey, since I had to get him there 1/2 hour early for practices and an hour early for games. He's in the locker room, clowning, warming up, etc. What to do? So in the parking lot I would stay with my horn. For a good period of time we had an eight-passenger Sprinter van, and it was great since I could play my tenor... with a proper music stand!
I did a lot of business trips... typically Mon. Fri. - or Sunday - Sat. Spent a lot of time in rental cars in motel parking lots, with my soprano, iPad, old recordings, playalongs, etc. Sure beats watching stupid car shows on cable TV!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have practiced alto in the car often, I play Aebersold CDs and do improv plus chord exercises, etc.. When I had time to kill after work before other appointments that was my relaxed and undisturbed practice time, something that seems for me hard to come by. Alto wasn't bad but I wish this worked for tenor.

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's not a car technically but I had an F-150 crew cab as a rental a couple of summers ago. I could fold up one of the rear seats and sit on the other and play tenor comfortably. Plus I could play the iReal app on my phone through the stereo. It was great, I practiced in a train station parking lot until 1-2 am 4 nights in a row. I have a student who practices tenor in his truck during his lunch hour and he usually gets in 45min.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts