Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was a place that would take a stock Otto link and make it like a Florida. I know Morgan Fry does this, but I thought there was a place in the states. Anyone know who and if they are worth it?

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Eric Falcon at Warburton can modify an STM NY to vintage Florida specifications, or a metal Vintage Series Tone Master to vintage New York specifications. I've played the modified STM, and it's worth it. I haven't played a modified VSTM, but I would bet it's worth it, too.

Phil Engleman at Phil-Tone does a custom job on a modern Tone Edge. I wouldn't say the result is exactly like a Slant Sig, but I would say the result is excellent. It's worth it, too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should have specified, looking for a metal link. I have an STM 7* but would like to play around with a 6*, but don't want to spend the big bucks on a vintage piece again, first time was crap shoot enough.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Matt Voss( a member here) does a good job on STM's. He took a current STM and made it into a pretty accurate copy of a later FL link for me. Great guy to work with and will keep at it until you're happy-reasonable prices too. He' in NY. His name here is hartt--something

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
i think phil barone does this too. there are plenty of great modern pieces out there and you do not need to pay 800 to 1500 for a vintage piece to sound good. you might also talk to marin spivak, i believe he has a good reputation with links.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have a modern STM I bought on EBay that was done by Warburton and another modern STM that I acquired in a trade here on SOTW that was redone by Sakshama. Both are excellent, curious about the Warburton NYSTM. I also own 3 EB STM Babbitt's so I have some point of reference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warburton was the one I had looked at. Money burnt a hole straight through my pocket and I already ordered one. I got the cheaper deal they do to make like a Florida. I already have a 7* vintage STM which is killer. I want to play around with a 6*. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input even through it was too late after post #2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts