Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear SOTW-Fellows,
two years ago I wrote a concert for multi-woodwind player and strings and premiered this piece recently with a local orchestra. It's called "Pentathlon", because for the soloist it's an kind of fight with five different instruments in five movements: Tenor-/soprano sax, bassoon, clarinet and flute.
Here's a video of the performance. Although it's not perfect by any means (I didn't expect that in advance :), switching between the instruments in this classical setting was harder for me than expected) I'm quite proud of this piece of music.
I would really make me glad if some of you would listen to it!

https://youtu.be/QF_1RFK5E6s

Happy new year to everybody!

Dirk

PS: I uploaded a video with the score on youtube, too

·
Registered
643 Posts
First of all, congratulations! I always am grateful to the hardwork one has to make, in order to create works of music. Also, trying to write for a multi instrumentalist is always risky and a niche, but we need more works for people to enjoy and perform.

Now more on the critic part, although I'm not going to bash around. It seemed to me that you were most confortable playing the soprano and flute, and those were also the pieces I most enjoyed listening to. The bassoon part, seemed that you were really struggling with the instrument. I presume the orchestra is a bit to the amateur side, as it showed on the final piece, which didn't help your performance, but well, it's ok.
I would recommend writing some sort of interludes between the movements, because it's a lot of dead time for the listener and you lose the publics attention. That way, you can mentally prepare for the next instrument, set up and then play the movement, while the orchestra does her part of filling in.

Again, congratulations!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, kreacher for carefully listening and writing a comment. I very much appreciate that. As you heared, not every instrument is equally mastered by me. I think, that's true for most of the woodwind doublers in the world, even the pros (I'm not one of those, I'm a highschool teacher, though I studied flute many moons ago). But that's of course part of the game in a doubling concerto and I struggled the most with playing flute after 15 minutes of heavy reed playing, go figure....I was quite happy with my bassoon sound in performance, though. Of course it's a live performance with all its quirks captured with the internal camera mic and the balance and sound is a result of this as are the pauses between the movements. I thought of cutting them out but then decided to let the video quite raw.
Yes, I would call the orchestra an advanced amateur (that's what they are) ensemble, so we made a good match :)
Again, thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
What a talented guy! That was A LOT of work and so great you played all those woodwind parts! That was very inspiring- I write music and sometimes I wonder if all the hard work is worth it- so glad you followed through on this creation.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I thought it was lovely, Dirk and really enjoyed hearing what was obviously from a multitude of influences in inspiring your composition. I picked up on Barber, Hindemith, even Bizet, Mahler and Ravel. Bravo!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a talented guy! That was A LOT of work and so great you played all those woodwind parts! That was very inspiring- I write music and sometimes I wonder if all the hard work is worth it- so glad you followed through on this creation.
Thank you so much for your kind words, Sonja, they mean a lot to me! I'm always wondering about the sense of writing down dots on a paper (or typing them in a computer) if after several hours there's absolute nothing or only banal things left. I remember the phrase of a poet (forgot who), who answered the question what he did today: Well, I wrote the first line of a poem, thought about it and erased it afterwards. It was a good day!
My life isn't really like that - but if I find a path out of all my confusing ideas, I find it really satisfying!

I thought it was lovely, Dirk and really enjoyed hearing what was obviously from a multitude of influences in inspiring your composition. I picked up on Barber, Hindemith, even Bizet, Mahler and Ravel. Bravo!!
Wow, I really recognized, since the composers you mention are really my role models. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Absolutely Dirk, one’s influences manifest themselves in any form of expression, especially in musical composition. I like the modular/modernist feel throughout and within that structure there are clear nods of acknowledgment to previous composers. I think your piece is flexible enough to substitute the wind instrument with others. Perhaps alto sax in the first movement would be a more interesting contrast to the bassoon that follows in the second. That would definitely help the sop clarinet in the third movement I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts