Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help all. I bought a sax a short while back, but I don’t know hardly anything about it. What I do know... 1) The engraving on the front says Peffer, Stockton, Cal on it. 2) Repairman David Dyer is under the impression that it may be a Martin stencil due to the gold bell/silver body combination. 3) This is a C melody horn. 4) This has a low, 4 digit serial number. I can’t find any serial number info on this.

If at all possible, I would like to find out the base manufacturer and manufacturing date for this horn.

Pics are available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
jbolin, i also have a Peffer C Melody. looks very similar to your horn, although with a little less patina. My serial number is 158191. plays pretty good for being from the 20's. i also have the original case. which also has a Peffer name plate. The nameplate says "If it makes music PEFFER has it" " phone 795-42 So. Cal. St. Stockton Cal." also here is a cool link to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oJR3iFBE1k
just audio, but a picture of a Peffer C Melody horn that looks exactly like ours.
Wright realty in Stockton has a history of California St. Peffer Music was at 42 So. California St. in the 30's and 40's. so the phone number was 795. The guy on youtube says he thought is was a Martin stencil, because of the silver color, and brass inner bell. Basic Sax.info page on stencils traces Peffer to the Elkhart Band Instrument Company. Very interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts